• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best location to live for UK contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jason View Post
    I am northwest based also.

Don't even bother driving down to London these days.. I get the 6:30am train from Warrington and get a couple of hours kip on the way

I agree being close to the M6/M56/M62 is great for access to most of England/Wales/Scotland.

Although when I work in Edinburgh I tend to get the train.

Top tip on accomodation all over the place. The Hotel Club.

I usually also go for short term lets on serviced appartments, which are often cheeper per night than hotels and usually include broadband in the price. I have even done this for 1 night deals.

Snap, although I avoid London like the plague, i'm only 10 minutes by taxi from manchester airport too

Whats this hotel club thing? you got a link?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Loads near Manchester Airport!

I live in Wilmslow - 5 mins cab from airport, mainline train station, 5 mins from M56, 10 mins from M6 and M60.

Very central for the Liverpool / Manchester - Stoke / West Yorkshire circuit

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
        Loads near Manchester Airport!

I live in Wilmslow - 5 mins cab from airport, mainline train station, 5 mins from M56, 10 mins from M6 and M60.

Very central for the Liverpool / Manchester - Stoke / West Yorkshire circuit
        You are also surrounded by chavs apparently. Whats the latest on driveway battle?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          You are also surrounded by chavs apparently. Whats the latest on driveway battle?
          Latest is stalemate - there is always one chav in the neighbourhood I guess!

Happy as not getting vans parking outside my house any more, long may it last.

When we are both in the street I try to look his way, but he is always hiding away from me. Strange guy....

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
            Some guy bought a place in London yesterday for £35million, the stair cost £750k on there own
            their

Cats are evil.

Comment

I'm in Cheltenham. Working mostly in Financial Services its about an hours commute from Birmingham, Bristol and Swindon, with all their banks, B.Socs and insurance companies, not to mention the ones in Gloucester, Stratford and Cheltenham itself.

Comment

Commute

I live in Milton Keynes, great range of property and not overly inflated house prices, fairly central and good road and rail links.

Currently commuting to slough 3 days a week

Comment

Surprised nobody has mentioned Milton Keynes yet :-)

Comment

milton keynes is for people who like going round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round roundabouts

makes me dizzy
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                      milton keynes is for people who like going round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round roundabouts

makes me dizzy
                      I know... the roundabouts are very stange for anyone not used to them but they do work, in size MK is the size of birmingham but with only a population of around 250k, it takes around 20-30 minutes to drive from one side of MK to the other, and thats in heavy morning traffic.

Like I say I am currently working is Slough at present, what a hole, the traffic is god awful (probably the worst drivers I have encountered yet). Sorry if anyone here actually lives in slough, but why would you? besides the low flying 747's dont add to the attractiveness.

Comment

Working...
                      X