• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are there many young contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget we are talking generalities here so of course anything said will have examples that "prove it wrong"

I think a diverse background with many companies is very useful for anyone. I have met a lot of people who tell me they have 20 years experience, and after talking to them I find what they really have is 1 years experience done 20 times.

By that I mean they have been in that one job and done the one role for 20 years and learned all they needed in the first year, then sat back and coasted for the next 19.

I never liked the letters after name thing either.. I have them for ticks in boxes, but they mean absolutely nothing.

Comment

2 Orcale people arguing over whom has less social skills? Thats like ATW and Milan arguing over who pulls more woman.

Comment

OracleSlave,

I think they can. When I was a youngster I was an arrogant feck, who contrary to what I though knew next to nothing. Not a clue about the real world and was one of those Back Office boys I spoke about.

I was fortunate enough to have a boss who put me straight and mentored me through the first 3 years of my career.

Comment

I never liked the letters after name thing either.. I have them for ticks in boxes, but they mean absolutely nothing.
          I agree, yep I have them but the letters after the name is all just part of the game. When push comes to shove they don't mean anything.
          That boy go raaaaaaa
          Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
            Nowadays, being older and less motivated learning the latest new techno-fads, I rely more on my soft skills and experience relating to clients and doing a solid job, than getting excited about the wonders of the latest technology.
            I feel the same but I've got to the point where I keep going just so I can pay off the mortgage early, I just can't be bothered to learn anything new which can be serious handicap in this game.

[GJ in disillusioned January blues mode]
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I should rephrase the bit on the letters being useless. If you are an IBM business partner and you have a BDP setup with them.. you are required to have a certain number of certs.

Not having them means you end up loosing a lot of money. Does not apply to small consultancies but mixed companies who do tin-shifting as well as services need them.

So in that arena they are useful to have for more than just a tick in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                OracleSlave,

I think they can. When I was a youngster I was an arrogant flip, who contrary to what I though knew next to nothing. Not a clue about the real world and was one of those Back Office boys I spoke about.

I was fortunate enough to have a boss who put me straight and mentored me through the first 3 years of my career.
                I would agree with you however as always there are exceptions i.e. some techies are better off just sticking with it and being hidden in a back office somewhere as you put it earlier.

Comment

I've always been an exception....outcast some would say.

I owe all my contracts to one guy who took a chance on me. I knew I could do the work, he trusted me and got 2 contracts directly from that work proves it.

In my field I am usually better qualified than people who are older than me becuase I move around so much.

Last project the "other" PM spend 5 years at DRG (Dixons Retail Group) for this new warehouse he tried to turn it into a clone of DRG as that was all he knew.

I on the other hand had been in maybe 10-15 warehouses over the past 5 years and didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    I on the other hand had been in maybe 10-15 warehouses over the past 5 years and didn't.
                    All glitz and glamour in your world, isn't it mate?

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                      All glitz and glamour in your world, isn't it mate?

Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X