• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calling all Oracle contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you reckon it's worth the time and (probably considerable) effort to reach the OCM or should I just stay with the OCP?
    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      answering - like it says in the post, FFS
      <cough> edit <cough>

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities View Post
        Do you reckon it's worth the time and (probably considerable) effort to reach the OCM or should I just stay with the OCP?
        Do you find OCP makes any difference to what you do or how much you charge for it?

I'm not a DBA, but got the OCP so that I can possibly sell myself as being able to do some support stuff rather than front-line DBA work. Therefore, it makes no difference to my work or rate really, but is something that I can throw in if I think it will be a deal maker.

OCM would be good if you wanted to do something like write white papers, or books etc. as there are so few around. That said, it's flipping hard by all accounts (I think that they basically have someone watch you for two days to see what you are doing to get the certification), and will be expensive. I don't think that many clients (and almost certainly no agents) will understand what it means.

Something like "Oracle Certified Expert" for Oracle 10g on Linux (I think that's one!) looks good though. Being an Oracle Certified Workflow Expert has helped me get some roles with very little effort, as (again) there are so few out there.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Do you find OCP makes any difference to what you do or how much you charge for it?

I'm not a DBA, but got the OCP so that I can possibly sell myself as being able to do some support stuff rather than front-line DBA work. Therefore, it makes no difference to my work or rate really, but is something that I can throw in if I think it will be a deal maker.

OCM would be good if you wanted to do something like write white papers, or books etc. as there are so few around. That said, it's flipping hard by all accounts (I think that they basically have someone watch you for two days to see what you are doing to get the certification), and will be expensive. I don't think that many clients (and almost certainly no agents) will understand what it means.

Something like "Oracle Certified Expert" for Oracle 10g on Linux (I think that's one!) looks good though. Being an Oracle Certified Workflow Expert has helped me get some roles with very little effort, as (again) there are so few out there.
          I honestly can't answer that as I bootcamped my OCP together then learned the skills. Bad, I know, but it's kept me in work for some years now.

And, FWIW, I think I'm pretty good, TBH.
          The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

I used to read Oracle on ITV until they rebranded it as Teletext.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              You get to have servants so no menial household chores i.e. making the bed.
              I'm thinking more like early morning baths a-la "Coming to America"
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities View Post
                I honestly can't answer that as I bootcamped my OCP together then learned the skills. Bad, I know, but it's kept me in work for some years now.

And, FWIW, I think I'm pretty good, TBH.
                OCP just means that you can pass an exam - I know plenty of bad DBAs who have OCP and plenty of really good ones that don't. Oracle rarely certifies their own people, but it's sometimes hard to convince clients and agents of this.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X