• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blu Ray wins!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    So what is the quality difference between HD-DVD and Blue-ray?
    from what i've heard blu-ray marginally takes the lead.
    Of course with any tech "war" any useful information is going to be hard to find thanks to all of the over emotive crap spouted by self professed "experts".

I've got blu-ray at home, 42" HD TV and the quality on first viewing was astounding.
    I've not seen and HD-DVD so can't comment
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I am putting an LG multi blu BR/HD hybrid into a HTPC. Anybody else want one, reasonable price (I promise).
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
        I am putting an LG multi blu BR/HD hybrid into a HTPC. Anybody else want one, reasonable price (I promise).
        What are you offering in English?

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
          Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          What are you offering in English?
          An LG dual-format Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drive in a Home Theatre PC.

HTH
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I remember looking at reviews for dual machines a while back and the general consensus was that they didn't provide all the features for either format and if you wanted all the bells and whistles you would be better off buying a couple of separate players.

After digging through loads of reviews I came to the conclusion that a PS3 is the best blue ray player to buy on a budget, it also upscales and you can stream from a media server through it. Oh you also get to play games with it as an added bonus

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post

HTH
              It does help. Have already gone the blu ray route so will pass TLG.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                After digging through loads of reviews I came to the conclusion that a PS3 is the best blue ray player to buy on a budget, it also upscales and you can stream from a media server through it. Oh you also get to play games with it as an added bonus
                And surf t'internet.

other option is a media center PC with a Blu Ray drive.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

When I was looking that was more expensive than a PS3

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post

HTH

Yeah I've seen those on Ebuyer etc. Was tempted but now it seems a bit pointless investing anything in HD-DVD. According to Reuters, Toshiba are going to announce cessation of HD-DVD support in any future players later this week, so it's a one horse race now.

Having seen the latest version of Blade Runner on Blu-ray via a mate's PS3 and 42" LCD I'm not overly impressed. Apart from the new cgi scenes (particularly the flying sequences) which were obviously hi-def, I didn't notice that much of a difference to a decent normal DVD setup.

So, seeing as Blu-ray is still being enhanced via revision updates, some of which won't be usable on most current/older players, I'll wait this one out a bit longer. I think the PS3 is still the best way of getting into Blu-ray at the moment, especially when GTA IV comes out!
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                      Having seen the latest version of Blade Runner on Blu-ray via a mate's PS3 and 42" LCD I'm not overly impressed. Apart from the new cgi scenes (particularly the flying sequences) which were obviously hi-def, I didn't notice that much of a difference to a decent normal DVD setup.
                      New CGI sequences in BladeRunner? Chuffin' sacrilege! (ZG will be along with a Roy Batty quote in minute.)

Isn't just releasing older films in HD shameless profiteering cos the source is the problem? I thought that the reason "Planet Earth" looked so good in HD was they were actually using new spangly HD cameras to showcase the medium.

Comment

Working...
                      X