• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NHS Dental services ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
    Is it like hangman....can I have a F please
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I understand it is free

You pay for NHS dentists in bands. First band is a check up which is less than 20 quid usually. Second band is for minor remediation work and the third band is for major remediation work.

It's worthwhile going NHS if you need major work doing as the band is capped (excuse the pun) so you may end up paying far less than private.

If you can find one that is...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        About 5 minutes later I felt the anesthetic kick in
        u have to wait at least 7 mins for the anesthetic to kick in. 7 mins that is only like 20 quid more. What is wrong with u people ?

Comment

This is a pet hate of mine right now - I was signed up to an NHS dentist who did a root canal for me just about 18 months ago. I haven't been back for 15 months and the root canal is giving me hassle again, so I phoned up only to be told that I'm no longer on the NHS list despite them not telling me that I need to go more often; plus my wife and kids are always there. They did ask me if I wanted to go private though - gits!

Can anyone recommend a Manchester based private dentist, or else a service like the one clippy posted but in Manchester?
          Last edited by Zorba; 30 December 2007, 20:35.

Comment

Now that I am private (gave up looking for NHS), the dentist recommends visits to the hygenist every 3 months - and she is almost as expensive as the dentist himself (£30 for 10 minutes). I never went that often even as a kid. And most of that 10 minutes is the hygenist talking garbage and pretending to be a dentist. There is big bucks in dentistry at the moment it seems and I dread the day when I need anymajor work done.
            The hygenist that I see every three months is more expensive than the dentist that I see once a year.

But since tea, coffee, red wine and cigarette smoke are what are usually in my mouth my teeth do get quite badly stained.

I have been with private dentists for years. I didn't think there were any NHS ones left.

Comment

Like GPs, Dentists have it a little too good. Let's hope schemes like the following will set the cat amongst the pigeons.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/consume...in_page_id=512

Couple offer Eastern Europe dentists on the cheap
              Two entrepreneurs are to recruit 1,000 dentists from Eastern Europe to help solve the crisis in Health Service provision. They plan to set up a national chain charging the same or less than NHS clinics...The Wilsons aim to build seven 24-hour centres near motorway junctions with patients expected to drive.The first, employing 150 dentists, will open just off the M20 near Maidstone, Kent...Their dentists will be offered free housing but given salaries in line with what they would earn back in Eastern Europe.

Comment

Like GPs, Dentists have it a little too good. Let's hope schemes like the following will set the cat amongst the pigeons.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/consume...in_page_id=512
                Eastern european Dentists that will be coming for the money in the UK are not ones u want to fix your teeth. Not until at leaset they have worked 3 - 4 years here..

Comment

My dentists in Canada were all pretty good and private. Though I hardly think that because you are private it instantly makes you a great dentist. The ones I had were all average and fixed up all my bad filling and such pretty good, though some repeated trips were necessary to fine tune the filling...she didn't tell me these new fangled white ones actually are painful for a while after...

Anyway, have just recently gone to NHS dentist here and she was good, but I'm used to having my teeth scaled and polished each checkup. She didn't d that so I had to complain to the practise, now I get it done each time. I just had a post-crown put in and the work was done to a high standard - have had no issues so far with it.

As for fees, as mentioned there are three bands. But you can get an exemption if you are on a certain level of tax-credits. look into that.

I found my dentist by sheer luck. Had an emergency - phoned NHS direct they made an emergency appointment with them. While there I made an appointment for a checkup. The practise I go to is entirely NHS so there was no pressure to change to private.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Eastern european Dentists that will be coming for the money in the UK are not ones u want to fix your teeth. Not until at leaset they have worked 3 - 4 years here..
                    How hard can dentistry be? For all but a minority of procedures, surely it isn't exactly rocket science Many's the time when I have wanted for the tools to polish my own teeth for example. How hard can even doing a filling be? Judging by the article I quoted, I'm not alone, with people even attempting quite major jobs - on themselves. I once removed a mole that was bugging me, with a pair of wire cutters.

Comment

How hard can dentistry be? For all but a minority of procedures, surely it isn't exactly rocket science Many's the time when I have wanted for the tools to polish my own teeth for example. How hard can even doing a filling be? Judging by the article I quoted, I'm not alone, with people even attempting quite major jobs - on themselves. I once removed a mole that was bugging me, with a pair of wire cutters.

Generally eastern European candidates ( with some exceptions ) are not good candidates for professional/higher(ish) expertise work. The problem is with the language and cultural/experience. Good dentists ( or other eastern professionals ) will be older and not willing to migrate. That is why most eastern European migrants are "low-skilled" - they have nothing to lose and simply leave their homes.

Comment

Working...
                      X