• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Goldman Sachs' sub-prime bet pays off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back on topic

I suggest Goldman are 'successful' due to their proximity to decision makers, including government:

Treasury asks Goldman Sachs to find ways of avoiding nationalisation of Northern Rock:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...rnrock.banking

Another fee making opportunity, funded by Joe Public.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      Oh. So expressing how much I've missed you is evidence of the chip on my shoulder and borderline paranoid defensive traits. Actually, you appear to be the one displaying these tendencies.
      Yeah, we're covering old ground here.

All we need is SB to leap in and it'll be like GroundHog day.

You're the kind of Scot who feels the world is against you so you have a chip on your shoulder. You immediately jump to the aggressive. You'll grow out of it. Either that or one day someone will punch your lights out.

Sess le pit.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
        Oh. So expressing how much I've missed you is evidence of the chip on my shoulder and borderline paranoid defensive traits. Actually, you appear to be the one displaying these tendencies.
        Steady snaw. You'll have him googling for another "fraternity" to join in order to feel wanted. Must cost him a fortune mind you, but he has a prize collection of social crutches to help him grumble along life's highway.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Steady snaw. You'll have him googling for another "fraternity" to join in order to feel wanted. Must cost him a fortune mind you, but he has a prize collection of social crutches to help him grumble along life's highway.
          Speak of the devil.

What's wrong SB? Did you get blackballed by the local knitting circle?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Speak of the devil.

What's wrong SB? Did you get blackballed by the local knitting circle?
            Never been "blackballed" in my life churchill. Never been afflicted by the overwhelming need to "belong" that seems to drive your every decision mind you. You really ought to explain just why you display such enmity towards the Scots. I expect you are still getting over one of them chinning you for being such an obnoxious big t0sser. Serves you right too.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Mortgage Derivatives - sell!

Goldman makes over half its profits from trading their own money.

They're not nicknamed 'Golden Sacks' for nowt.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                You're the kind of Scot who feels the world is against you so you have a chip on your shoulder. You immediately jump to the aggressive. You'll grow out of it. Either that or one day someone will punch your lights out.

Sess le pit.
                Nope, most definitely not true. I love my life and am a very friendly guy. I just said, by analogy, that I don't miss you haunting these boards in a cabbage fart in a council house kind of way. That's not aggressive, it's just a statement of fact. You're incredibly dull, and you've got a massive problem with Scottish people, which I personally find to be borderline racist. Maybe the reason you find Scottish people aggro is due to you being such a bigot.

I don't get into fights as a rule, as I grew older I realised no one wins and it's a braver thing to walk away. But I'd certainly handle myself if someone did feel the need to 'punch my lights out', though strangely enough I never seem to get into that kind of situation - is it a common problem for you (I can imagine it is).
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  NO, what they did was CALL the market and call it right. That is exactly what every bank should have done, then they wouldn't be in this mess.
                  Look at NR - when they had problems big Hedge Funds started shorting their stock - it became one of the most shorted stocks and it made matters worse for NR. In effect guys with money gang up on it hoping that Govt will buy them out in full and they make lots of money from shares. Bad bet in the UK (they should have remembered Railtrack), but anyway such betting made matters worse to NR - this is market manipulation.

Banks should invest money into companies that make services and products needed by the market and banks should profit from dividends paid by those companies, not by clever financial games that screw up markets.

IMO the solution is high rate of global tax that penalise speculation in shares - 90%+. If City boys are so smart then perhaps they will indulge in a bit of real company creation, find cure for cancer, solve world energy crisis and more. In the meantime they are just effing up everyone with their games apart from themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Look at NR - when they had problems big Hedge Funds started shorting their stock - it became one of the most shorted stocks and it made matters worse for NR. In effect guys with money gang up on it hoping that Govt will buy them out in full and they make lots of money from shares. Bad bet in the UK (they should have remembered Railtrack), but anyway such betting made matters worse to NR - this is market manipulation.

Banks should invest money into companies that make services and products needed by the market and banks should profit from dividends paid by those companies, not by clever financial games that screw up markets.

IMO the solution is high rate of global tax that penalise speculation in shares - 90%+. If City boys are so smart then perhaps they will indulge in a bit of real company creation, find cure for cancer, solve world energy crisis and more. In the meantime they are just effing up everyone with their games apart from themselves.
                    Luckily you're too thick for your opinions to matter, ever.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Luckily you're too thick for your opinions to matter, ever.
                      You'd better start learning Chinese language - the way it goes you will soon need it.

Comment

Working...
                      X