• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

relocate to Leicester

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Bless you
    Oi! I live in Leicester.

Really Nice Places:
    Newtown Linford (small village next to bradgate park)
    Gilmorton
    Bruntingthorpe
    Bitteswell

Nice Places:
    Anstey (next to newtown linford)
    Ratby (really good for the M1)
    Thurmaston
    Countesthorpe

Avoid:
    Mounsorrel
    Beaumont Leys
    Anstey Heights (essentially Beaumont Leys)

As for price you'll probably get a nice 3 bed semi for £180,000.

Comment

Originally posted by aj1977 View Post
      Socketpuppet where art thou??
      Sorry it was a Friday ergo I leave the office at 3.

Comment

However.

It really does depend what you want and your lifestyle. Do you want "city living" or something in the middle of no where 2 border collies and an open fireplace.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          However.

It really does depend what you want and your lifestyle. Do you want "city living" or something in the middle of no where 2 border collies and an open fireplace.
          Cheers Sockpuppet..Of course I don't want to live right in the middle of the city nor in the middle of no where 2 border collies and an open fireplace.
          Prefer a outskirt with close links to city/town and an excellent access to motorways/stations....

Comment

Live in Prague and commute by fighter jet. I do.

Craig Colclough
            Last edited by beaker; 14 December 2007, 22:14. Reason: Added "I do." to the end of the sentence in an attempt to make it more likely to draw a laugh, even though I won't ever know
            Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

How about Edinbrough. Voted No 1 by channel 4 and they have some interesting tourist attractions. See here

Comment

Originally posted by aj1977 View Post
                Cheers Sockpuppet..Of course I don't want to live right in the middle of the city nor in the middle of no where 2 border collies and an open fireplace.
                Prefer a outskirt with close links to city/town and an excellent access to motorways/stations....
                There's always Sutton Bonington, West Leake, Normanton on Soar - all are, pretty much, 10 (max) mins from M1 jct24 and 6 miles from Loughborough Train Station (Leics is 10 mins down the line).

In fairness, these are all a little 'Country', which may not be your thing. But they are close enough to things to be useful and far enough away to be far enough away, if you catch my drift.
                The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

I'm from Leicester too.
                  Kinda depends where in Leicester you're gonna be working - some parts are difficult to get to cos the ring road is rubbish.

I would agree with Sockpuppet, ignore all others! None of the places mentioned outside of Sockpuppet's post are within 20 mins of city centre.

If you want lovely leafy suburb that's still walkable from town (and have a lot of money to spend on a house), Stoneygate can't be beaten, it's probably my favourite place in Leicestershire that isn't out in the countryside (there are lots of nice country villages around and about). But be careful you're not in Highfields (right next door!) by accident!

Narborough is nice, you can go for old style village or newish estate houses and it's very close to Fosse Park and J21 of M1.

But like I say, kinda depends where you'll be working.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    Oi! I live in Leicester.

Really Nice Places: Agreed on all counts
                    Newtown Linford (small village next to bradgate park)
                    Gilmorton
                    Bruntingthorpe
                    Bitteswell
                    Would add:
                    Stoneygate
                    Quorn
                    Cropston
                    Rothley (essentially anywhere over that way!)

Nice Places:
                    Anstey (next to newtown linford)
                    Ratby (really good for the M1) Not especially nice though
                    Thurmaston Again, I would not say it's that nice
                    Countesthorpe agreed
                    Would add:
                    Evington
                    Oadby
                    Narborough and surrounding villages

Avoid:
                    Mountsorrel Why?
                    Beaumont Leys agreed
                    Anstey Heights (essentially Beaumont Leys) agreed
                    Would add:
                    Eyres Monsell
                    Highfields
                    Saffron Lane (although Aylestone Road is Ok)

As for price you'll probably get a nice 3 bed semi for £180,000.
                    Price will all depend on whether you go for Really Nice or just Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                      Live in Prague and commute by fighter jet. I do.

Craig Colclough

Comment

Working...
                      X