• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Memories of Doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    So I ended up back with mom & dad, didn't work at all for six months, ended up taking a school leaver level job and working my way up (which didn't take that long luckily).
    I started out on employment training (£45 per week) which was meant to be combined with a business studies course - all a bit strange and it was only because a friend of my Dad's ran the scheme that I got onto it. I had to lie about where I lived to qualify too.

Fortunately the company treated it as a trial, and after a month offered me a proper job with a proper salary (£12K IIRC). I don't think they were really looking for anyone, but they obviously realised I would be useful and made it happen. Maybe if I'd had to go through an interview process I wouldn't have got that.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I graduated in 1992. There were jobs where they said they'd had 250 graduate applicants for one job, so I suppose I was doing pretty well getting interviews. 9 months of being broke, bored to death and living in my Mum's house I finally got something. Not the best time of my life.

My Dad's business went tits up in 1990 too.
      Spooky. I graduated in 92. My Dad's business also folded in 1990. I drive a Vectra.

Am I you? Are you me? Who's Spartacus?

Comment

Working...
      X