• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rich kids brighter than poor kids shocker!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    It's partially inherited but the extent of which varies depending on who you believe,commonly,in studies, anywhere from 50 to 70%. Even if you inherited 70% of your parents genes that wouldn't be enough to raise you above normal, so where does the rest come from, moreover, does environment and nutrition not explain the differences better than inherited traits? Of course those things are often confounded.

There will always be regression to the mean, so thick people can safely breed on, and the human race will be safe.

You also assume rich= high IQ, which blatently it does not.
    Or to use one word where 100 would do: Nature versus nurture?

Comment

I didn't realise there was social mobility in the UK??? shocker!
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

You also assume rich= high IQ, which blatently it does not.
        Not in all cases admittedly, but it is not a bad rule of thumb. Anyway, I don't need to "believe" anyone, I go on vast personal experience. For every Shakespeare that sink estates throw up, middle-class suburbia will produce umpteen, regardless of what fanciful stats might get unveiled from the romantic idealists.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

It's both.

Not everyone is born with the same mental capacity, because of genes, development in the womb, etc.

After that, the influence of peers and parents can drag a dull kid up, or a bright kid down.

That's the natural order of things, and it's the devil's own job to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
            That's the natural order of things, and it's the devil's own job to change it.
            The "devil" in question being NL with their well-intentioned yet ineffective social engineering wealth distribution policies I assume?
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              Not in all cases admittedly, but it is not a bad rule of thumb. Anyway, I don't need to "believe" anyone, I go on vast personal experience. For every Shakespeare that sink estates throw up, middle-class suburbia will produce umpteen, regardless of what fanciful stats might get unveiled from the romantic idealists.
              If we are playing anecdotes then I'd say

Most renown entrepreneurs don't come from good backgrounds

Middle class spoilt children tend to do poorly in exams

Yesterdays working class are tomorrows middle class

I'd wager putting an average poor kid into a middle class background and he'd do just as well and vice versa,

oh no I am Mortimer from trading places! and it worked!
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                The "devil" in question being NL with their well-intentioned yet ineffective social engineering wealth distribution policies I assume?
                Sounds like you are rich...

Comment

If we are playing anecdotes then I'd say

Most renown entrepreneurs don't come from good backgrounds

Middle class spoilt children tend to do poorly in exams

Yesterdays working class are tomorrows middle class

I'd wager putting an average poor kid into a middle class background and he'd do just as well and vice versa,

oh no I am Mortimer from trading places! and it worked!

Well I wasn't "playing anecdotes", just working out likelihoods on the "Garbage In Garbage Out" school of thought. But if it helps your case then please, feel free.
                  Your environment and nutrition argument also fails to hold water if we believe the stats that suggested that as 3-year olds (presumably in the same environment with the same quality of nutrition) the poorer kids were deemed more intelligent. Anyway, this thread has pretty much done what I wanted of it.......filled in an hour or so prior to an early finish. Thank you one and all for your input!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Sounds like you are rich...
                    Isn't everyone on here?

Comment

I'd wager putting an average poor kid into a middle class background and he'd do just as well and vice versa
                      You'd have to ask why so many "working class people" do not have the wherewithall to try and improve their child's lot, and it comes down to parental ignorance, lack of intelligence, or a combination of the two. Citing lack of money is a cop-out.

It doesn't cost anything to help them in their early learning with stuff every adult should know, teach them how to behave properly, and keep them in to do their homework.

I'm lucky enough to live in a fairly affluent area, but there are a few people living here who (how can I put this kindly?) you might imagine belonging on a chav estate somewhere. The strange thing is, even surrounded by middle class influences and going to good schools, their kids are turning out to be exactly the same as their parents.

Comment

Working...
                      X