• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government ePassports uncrackable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    Given that it only contains details that are available in the passport in a printed form, why is this a problem exactly?

I can see that it's an issue if someone can write forged details back, but I can see no issue at all with someone being able to crack the reading part.

tim
    The biometric data will also be stored - so that's your fingerprints, iris scan and face-shape patterns.

If it's readable from a distance and crackable - both have been proved in (I think) the German or Dutch trials - then any old tom/dick/harry can get pretty much all they need to spoof your life.

If the data is held centrally, then that data is also open to abuse from a disgruntled/dishonest employee. There is also a plan to sell this data - a la DVLA data to car-clampers.

There is a real chance of your personal data being in the public domain if this is allowed to go ahead.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      The biometric data will also be stored - so that's your fingerprints, iris scan and face-shape patterns.

If it's readable from a distance and crackable - both have been proved in (I think) the German or Dutch trials - then any old tom/dick/harry can get pretty much all they need to spoof your life.

If the data is held centrally, then that data is also open to abuse from a disgruntled/dishonest employee. There is also a plan to sell this data - a la DVLA data to car-clampers.

There is a real chance of your personal data being in the public domain if this is allowed to go ahead.
      Looking on the bright side, one could not only claim to be Spartacus, but could prove it too.

Comment

The real danger is that people think "oh, it's secure..." and the government spins it so that the majority think it's secure. When that happens, people get lax about keeping the data safe, and it's open season for fraudsters.

Plan B in the making, methinks.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          The real danger is that people think "oh, it's secure..." and the government spins it so that the majority think it's secure. When that happens, people get lax about keeping the data safe, and it's open season for fraudsters.
          The government would never be lax with personal data.

Comment

The biometric data will also be stored - so that's your fingerprints, iris scan and face-shape patterns. .
            Currently all that is a digital picture. Well there's a real one in the book that someone can digitize if they want.

If it's readable from a distance and crackable -
            The solution to this is easy. Make sure that it is stored (and read) in a faraday cage.

both have been proved in (I think) the German or Dutch trials - then any old tom/dick/harry can get pretty much all they need to spoof your life.
            As they can by reading the thing. I'm sorry, but I don't buy into this need to keep all my data secure in order to stop someone pretending to be me. The details that they need to do this are in the public domain somewhere. Shreading my mail does not stop them getting it. If it's possible to steal my identity by knowing my current address (on the electoral register), place and date of birth (available from the register of Births) then there aren't sufficient checks in place when the interloper uses that data. Asking me to make it only very slightly harder for him to obtain my details, is like having tissue paper doors on your house to stop someone breaking in.

It already is.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
              I'm sorry, but I don't buy into this need to keep all my data secure in order to stop someone pretending to be me.
              Exactly. Biometrics are not secrets. They are akin to a pin number stuck to one's head and scattered to the four winds as you pass by. The problem, already identified by someone earlier (perhaps even you), is that people do not know that biometrics are not secrets (this includes the general public and politicians) but treat them as such. This can lead to an insecure system if businesses use biometrics in place of secrets, as often touted by politics.

Comment

Beware Bungling Bureaucrats

Does the Passport Office still send the new passports by normal post (small brown envelope)? Fancy charging £ 80 or so and not sending them by registered post!!
                Last time, I insisted on collecting my daughter's from the Petty France Office in London. I got some funny looks by the idiots there, couldn't believe I was so security-conscious.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
                  The government would never be lax with personal data.
                  No, but they do Ex-lax our personal data.
                  Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
                  X