• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mpg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Damn straight!

Plus the parts for it are beyond cheap. I do all the servicing myself so can do it in total for less than £30.

Although its finally got near 100k now so I have to get the cam belt changed which is something I cannot do myself...mostly as the tools are special and cost the same as the cam belt change.
    What stupidity to use a belt rather than a chain on a diesel
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Chains become noisy and can break as well.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        will do the Reading to Manchester run this afternoon and fill up again tomorrow as im convinced being sat on Reading ringroad for 45mins is the reason for the shockingly low mpg
        Of course, you could go by train from Manchester to Reading....
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          I'm sure it only costs about £100/day on the train.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            Leicester -> Welwyn Garden City

200miles/day

50mpg (9.5p ish) - Ford Focus 1.8TDCi

If I was to do it in my lorry I would still get 12mpg....
            Why does diesel get so much more to the gallon ? Better engine or better fuel. I toyed with getting a diesel Mondeo last week but plumped for what I knew, the 1 year old diesels were a grand or two more but with that margin of difference in MPG it would pay for itself in no time.

Comment

As an aside - I thought all new cars were going to go to 24volts so things like power steering & air con pumps could be run electric rather than off the engine drive thus reducing consumption further.

Not heard anything about it recently

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                Why does diesel get so much more to the gallon ? Better engine or better fuel. I toyed with getting a diesel Mondeo last week but plumped for what I knew, the 1 year old diesels were a grand or two more but with that margin of difference in MPG it would pay for itself in no time.
                more efficient
                HTH

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  What's the mpg of a train?

34mpg from my Primera, which is mostly on the motorway. That's according to the trip computer, which this morning told me I had only 8 miles before running out of fuel, so I filled up and only got 2/3rds of a tank in. Stupid thing.

Oh and it has a cam chain (as does my S2000).
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I get about 44mpg out of my Mondeo TDCi, but I don't tend to drive it at its most fuel efficient speed!

I'm only doing Rochdale to Leeds each day, about 40 miles and a tank does me for the whole week and a day. But that also covers me for the fact that the thing is in perpetual motion over the weekends. My last Mondeo had the old 90bhp engine. I could leave home on a Monday morning and get to Uxbridge (220 miles later) through rush hour traffic, do all my driving around down there and get back on the same tank at the end of the week. Again - never driven at the optimum speed for the best mpg.

Now cue Milan for tales of frugal diesel usage in his Passat. How it can get to the moon and back on a teaspoon of diesel.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                      more efficient
                      HTH
                      Diesel as a fuel is more energy dense than petrol and the engine is more efficient too.

If you are covering huge distances on motorways then a modern Diesel makes sense. If you do like 8K miles pa. mostly in town, a small efficient petrol engine is best.

Comment

Working...
                      X