• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is 'General' often this nasty?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    Mr BrownIssue
    Rather than quote terms and conditions of the bulletin board and be an attention seeker, I suggest you utilise the Report to moderator functionality if you discover a truely nasty post directed at yourself.
    The bulletin board is no longer a new idea and indeed any IT contractor (or potential IT contractor) entering it will be familiar with the concept, and hence know that board grow a synergy and dynamic of its own, with relationships between posters not always clear to a first time poster. It takes time to understand what is nasty and what is not in a certain board context. It would be advisable to spend less time posting over a 1000 posts in a pointless social gossip thread and explore the rest of the board before complaining.
    Regards
    Helpful of London
    Yeah, what he said!

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Can we have examples of the 'nasty' posts.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Mr BrownIssue
    Rather than quote terms and conditions of the bulletin board and be an attention seeker, I suggest you utilise the Report to moderator functionality if you discover a truely nasty post directed at yourself.
    The bulletin board is no longer a new idea and indeed any IT contractor (or potential IT contractor) entering it will be familiar with the concept, and hence know that board grow a synergy and dynamic of its own, with relationships between posters not always clear to a first time poster. It takes time to understand what is nasty and what is not in a certain board context. It would be advisable to spend less time posting over a 1000 posts in a pointless social gossip thread and explore the rest of the board before complaining.
    Regards
    Helpful of London

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    'morning Troll, I'll sort this.

To be blunt, I'm inclined to quietly close my account and go away, which is a shame, since the advice and support I have seen are extremely good.
    I think you're posting in the wrong thread. Chaps? Just where is the "attention seeking" thread? Can anyone show "BrowneIssue" the way?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    To be blunt, I'm inclined to quietly close my account and go away.
    please close the door on your way out

Am I misunderstanding what this 'General' area is for? Should I just quietly go away and explore the PCG fora instead?
    Yes ...next

HTH

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    started a topic Is 'General' often this nasty?

Is 'General' often this nasty?

Despite my post count I am a newbie on Contractor UK. (The post count comes from using 'test please delete' as a sandpit to play in while I lurked elsewhere on this site.)

Yesterday's postings, specifically some threads in the 'General' area, seemed to be quite nasty.

The Bulletin Board Terms and Conditions at "http://www.contractoruk.com/about/bulletin_board.html" suggest a much more restrained approach than seems to occur here. I know rules are only guidelines but I am getting the impression this isn't somewhere I really want to be - the gap between my expectations and some of what I am seeing are immense.

To be blunt, I'm inclined to quietly close my account and go away, which is a shame, since the advice and support I have seen are extremely good.

But had I been a very new member here, I would have been appalled at what I had seen and left, never to return. I would have also been left with a VERY poor impression of UK contractors (unless I was a permie in which case it would have confirmed everything I already suspected). I would probably have tarred www.contractoruk.com with the same brush too.

Since everything on here is visible in Google, non-members are able to cheerfully find and browse these messages and some of what got said yesterday I would only expect to see in some of the less pleasant Usenet groups that are filled with adolescents and social drop-outs, not professionally employed people running their own businesses.

Am I misunderstanding what this 'General' area is for? Should I just quietly go away and explore the PCG fora instead?

Working...
X