• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hourly Doom Update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    ...ah the problem apparently, is BTL. When mortgages are renewed next year lenders will be demanding far more capital, like 20% extra, those that can't find it will probably forced into a sale. This will happen next year.
    Interestingly, an article on this appeared int' paper a few days ago.

http://tinyurl.com/363oje

Agree, that if there are redundancies, then the house of cards will start to crumble.

What about if the Polish builders etc start to head home, surely this wil have an effect too.

Edit: More doom: http://tinyurl.com/3c78fo
    Last edited by Clippy; 26 November 2007, 15:35.

Comment

So the question is really what percentage of BTL landlords are over-leveraged.
      I suspect it's a smallish proportion.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        ...ah the problem apparently, is BTL. When mortgages are renewed next year lenders will be demanding far more capital, like 20% extra, those that can't find it will probably forced into a sale. This will happen next year.
        Post a linky.
        I don't think that's true. Interest rates may be raised but I don't think lenders will suddenly change the LTV on existing mortgages.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well we need figures on BTL mortgages approved by year, one suspects all those after 2004 will be.

# approved after 2004/total since 99 say would give a rough estimate
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            So the question is really what percentage of BTL landlords are over-leveraged.
            I suspect it's a smallish proportion.
            Really?

I would have thought it's a fair number especially as the whole climate was geared towards complete novices being able to take out massive mortgages with a limited deposit.

Don't forget, one of the 'stars' of the mortgage world was the the Self-cert mortgage.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              Well we need figures on BTL mortgages approved by year, one suspects all those after 2004 will be.

# approved after 2004/total since 99 say would give a rough estimate
              Why 2004? That assumes a much greater than 7% fall. The City is betting on 7% which takes it to sometime last year.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

The traditional BTL model stopped working around mid 2004, that's when 'investors' had to rely on larger deposits or gamble on discounted rates. All those people are at risk IMHO. What percentage they make up of the total market is anyones guess, but given the exponential growth I'd hazzard at least 10% and probably much higher, irrespective once the panic begins...
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Prices will not fall massively as long as there are no mass redundancies as happened in the early 90s. People will merely stay put and not move rather than take a loss.
                  I think you are wrong.

There are enough forced sales each year (death, divorce, job moves, BTL cashing in etc) to make a noticable difference.

In any case if there are no sales at all, that will look even worse than a 10% fall in prices.

tim

Comment

Anyway lets hope for a good 40%, eh?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Prices will not fall much, a few % tops.

You need mass unemployment for that, and Gordon will just create another million tax-payer funded non-job in the public sector to stave off any unemployment.

So keep dreaming of your 40% falls.

Comment

Working...
                      X