• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for a word

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pontificate?
    Spot on PondLife..have a virtual cookie, thank you.

I suspected this thread would get TWOC'ed as a platform for making personal attacks...
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      Hello, I'm suffering from mental block atm, and I am looking for a word to describe something.
      What's the big fascination with ATM?
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Harangue

thats a good one

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
          Hello, I'm suffering from mental block atm, and I am looking for a word to describe something.

The concept is "Someone who stands on their soapbox and tells everyone else what to do." Eg, a politican telling everyone else how they should live their lives.

I thought the word I was after was "procrastinate", but that means to "put off or delay something."

However, the word I am looking for sounded something like procrastinate, I am sure.

Any ideas ?

(and I just know someone's going to say something like <Poster Name> :-)
          Gordon Brown?
          We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
          - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            Pontificate?
            Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Pope?
            See the connection there, even though the word pontificate derives from Latin for a pagan priest.

pontifex - from the Latin for bridge making / maker.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X