• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I have a loose ring.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re a good jeweller if you are in London – Hatton Garden (Jewish quarters' Jewellers) is a very very good place, I repaired an emerald pendant that was really hard to do because of the way the stone was mounted – they were good and I told them I wanted it fixed in the same day cuz I wasn’t from London.

Comment

Shirley it’s easier to make a ring smaller than bigger as they take a bit away and join what’s left rather than add more? I have a sneaking suspicion that they don’t resize at all, they probably just order another in the same style and pass it off as the original.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        Shirley it’s easier to make a ring smaller than bigger as they take a bit away and join what’s left rather than add more? I have a sneaking suspicion that they don’t resize at all, they probably just order another in the same style and pass it off as the original.
        Well that would be better actually, as it is also starting to disciolour! (Not that I'm saying my lad buys me cheap crap like...)
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Actresses in adult entertainment often have loose rings so much some have to wear pads. Not sure how this stops the ring falling off
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
            Well that would be better actually, as it is also starting to disciolour! (Not that I'm saying my lad buys me cheap carp like...)
            White gold is it? That will naturally discolour over time - but normally measured in decades - would have the ring checked out if it's discolouring so soon - or get the band swapped for platinum as this won't tarnish.

Rings have a seam, usually opposite to the mount for the gem - they simply heat this seam and pull the ring apart, take excess metal away and then re-seal it - you won't be able to see the join as it's polished afterwards.

This tempering of the metal can make it more brittle, especially if it's an alloy - but at the tolerances we're talking about you'd have to smack it pretty hard to break it - so no bar brawling. (You'd break your hand long before the ring broke anyway).

HTH

Comment

As a temorary measure you can get a little clip that fit's inside the ring to make it smaller, my wife had one of these on her engagement ring before she got it resized permenantly.

This way you can just keep replacing the clip thingy with a different sized one until your weight stabalises.

And before anyone asks, yes I did know the size of her ring finger before we got engaged, but she proposed to me and went and bought herself a ring to do it with........

Comment

Snap !
                Hi SA, as your weight is still changing, I wouldn't make any permanent change to your ring at this point. If you go to a jewellers and ask them to fit a temporary reducer.

I===I This kind of shape, it clips on to the inside of the ring and gives a flat side to part of the ring reducing its internal size.

HTH
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  White gold is it? That will naturally discolour over time - but normally measured in decades - would have the ring checked out if it's discolouring so soon - or get the band swapped for platinum as this won't tarnish.

Rings have a seam, usually opposite to the mount for the gem - they simply heat this seam and pull the ring apart, take excess metal away and then re-seal it - you won't be able to see the join as it's polished afterwards.

This tempering of the metal can make it more brittle, especially if it's an alloy - but at the tolerances we're talking about you'd have to smack it pretty hard to break it - so no bar brawling. (You'd break your hand long before the ring broke anyway).

HTH
                  My future Missus' ring doesn't have a seam.

I seem to remember my Grandma having her wedding ring cut, some metal removed then re-joined but that was a long time ago.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    My future Missus' ring doesn't have a seam.
                    The future Mrs RH's ring was rolled and handmade, so has a seam. Those that don't are likely to be cast - and would need to be cut and re-joined. You won't be able to see the join with a decent jeweller's handiwork.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                      The future Mrs RH's ring was rolled and handmade, so has a seam. Those that don't are likely to be cast - and would need to be cut and re-joined. You won't be able to see the join with a decent jeweller's handiwork.
                      Wouldn't a cast leave an edge to be bevelled?

I genuinely don't know much about this and just picked the one she liked the most but it would be interesting to know if Tiffany is all mouth and no trousers so to speak.
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X