• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AV on OS2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
    Unless you're patching the kernel itself you should never need to reboot any OS, unless it has a retarded file locking scheme where an in memory process cannot be swapped out on the disk...
    Like I said, IBM themselves recommend migrating to Linux and Java. The one thing they don't recommend is using OS/2. It's dead Jim.

Comment

True: Goodnight
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by kirk View Post
        weren't ATM's all running OS\2 up until very recently?

IMHO Microsoft have made the Windows Operating System (at least at the back end) very stable and secure - if the admin knows what he's doing then it's one of the best OS's there is. Even as a firewall! (ISA Server)
        Not all ATMs, no. Although NCR were very large customers.

OS/2 Antivirus? What are you connected to on the outside world? Couldn't you place a windows machine in the line as a firewall? Establish virtual drives on't windoze boxes and let them handle virus checking?

Churchill - In "Hursley Park ~1986" mode!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          That's probably because they can't find anyone who knows how to move away from it

Seriously, OS/2 is effectively a not supported OS that will never be developed further - one really need to move away from it ASAP.
          That is truer than you think. They run a project in 2000 to try and enable the same functionality on a Windows PC so that they could move away from it but it just ended up with the users having 2 PC's on the desk, one OS \ 2 and the other NT4...

OS \ 2 skills were virtually non existent.
          "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

flip OS/2 that takes me back

Lan Server was a decent product

desktop was a no no because of it's hardware requirements.. although there were many who tried

herd mentality meant that windows took over although it did provide a nice niche market for some time
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

IBM still deliver OS/2 as its the OS for the zSeries HMC (although thats going over to Linux as I speak.) There is a company here in Germany who have taken over OS/2 from IBM and are still actively developing for it and there is the open source OS/2 project.
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                IBM still deliver OS/2 as its the OS for the zSeries HMC (although thats going over to Linux as I speak.) There is a company here in Germany who have taken over OS/2 from IBM and are still actively developing for it and there is the open source OS/2 project.
                yup the germans want a non-Microsft strategic product

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  yup the germans want a non-Microsft strategic product
                  Who was it who originally developed OS/2? Oh yes, it was Microsoft. People tend to forget that.

I only saw OS/2 once, and I don't know why, just somebody set it up to look at. Where I worked back then us developers wanted to run NT3.5, but the company wouldn't stump up the cash for the 16Mb of RAM it needed, so everybody was stuck using Win3.1 and then Win95 on 4Mb machines. That's why Windows flourished.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I loved developing software under OS/2. Fantastic API.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      Who was it who originally developed OS/2? Oh yes, it was Microsoft. People tend to forget that.

I only saw OS/2 once, and I don't know why, just somebody set it up to look at. Where I worked back then us developers wanted to run NT3.5, but the company wouldn't stump up the cash for the 16Mb of RAM it needed, so everybody was stuck using Win3.1 and then Win95 on 4Mb machines. That's why Windows flourished.
                      OS/2 was a joint effort >v1.3 IBM & Microsoft
                      NT was in the early days of OS/2 (up to v2.0???)still vapourware
                      agree with the analysis on windows winning

What were your reasons for wanting NT 3.5?

Comment

Working...
                      X