• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rising speed penalties pondered

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Modern cars have got faster over the years and (aside from insurance costs) it's totally wrong that a driver having just passed their test could potentially jump straight into (for example) a Scooby or Evo kicking out 300 brake or so.
    In an underpowered car you tend to take chances more to keep up the momentum. Drivers of big turbo cars are often a menace on trackdays as they rely so much on having the power they don't learn how to corner. So they hold you up on the corners and then leave you for dust down the straights, and you can never get past.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      I find 20 mph is very hard to obey
      Bearing in mind you drive a Pug alexei, I think the word you are striving for is "achieve"!
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        Bearing in mind you drive a Pug alexei, I think the word you are striving for is "achieve"!
        I like my car. It is 5 years old now, it has got some annoying "build quality" issues, but overall it still looks very good to my eye. Engine is pretty solid too, so overall I think it was a good buy: over 5 years it works out 200 quid per month (ignoring insurance and fuel), and I will drive it for longer, not a bad deal for first car. Which brings me up to you - what was your first car, a 3 wheeler?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          In an underpowered car you tend to take chances more to keep up the momentum. Drivers of big turbo cars are often a menace on trackdays as they rely so much on having the power they don't learn how to corner. So they hold you up on the corners and then leave you for dust down the straights, and you can never get past.
          I am not a menace on track days!

I usually love track days and like the people but I went on a scooby one once (in my scooby) loads of nice cars but generally a bunch of complete d*cks - and exactly like you say on the corners. I'm a proper driver tho, me, haven't just had 4wd turbo nutter b*stard cars. Although the nob did have a turbo - but no 4wd.

Comment

Originally posted by WindyAnna View Post
            I am not a menace on track days!

I usually love track days and like the people but I went on a scooby one once (in my scooby) loads of nice cars but generally a bunch of complete d*cks - and exactly like you say on the corners.
            Partly the reason I sold my RA - too many d*cks driving Scoobies these days and I didn't like the image - the other reason being that it just sat in the garage too much and the money could usefully be used elsewhere

Two wheel drive is more fun anyway
            Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
              From the article:

We have a consensus that speeding is wrong and dangerous

Twat.... The inappropriate use of speed is dangerous. Speed in itself is not.

Driver awareness is far more important than simply making statements like the one above. It sends out totally the wrong message.
              Well said.

Speed alone only causes 10% of all accidents. If the government would only address the causes of accidents instead of speeding then there would be fewer accidents.

You didn't have to call him a twat though - that was a touch strong.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                driving a 1.5 ton car
                ah, the Lada.

Comment

Originally posted by lexington_spurs View Post
                  ah, the Lada.
                  You would not believe but this piece of tulip had a waiting list of 15 years to buy it

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                    Speed alone only causes 10% of all accidents.
                    Speed alone causes 0% of accidents. Speed is an inherently safe stable condition.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Speed alone...
                      There's no such thing as speed alone.

Comment

Working...
                      X