• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rising speed penalties pondered

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You think investigators don't know that? If you hit a child at 30 mph in 30 mph, then the coclusion will be either you were speeding or you did not look at the road to brake in time, either way you are screwed even if it all was fault of a child.
    Roads are for motor vehicles. I think we should be teaching that, rather than always blaming the driver. When kids get killed on railway lines, nobody blames the train driver.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Roads are for motor vehicles.
      What about zebra crossings? What about tw@ts who can't control their car and they crash offroad and kill people?

I like that in this country cars stop even before I step on zebra crossing - this is a very good thing, I do the same when I drive, but young tw@ts who have no idea about consequences of bad driving should really get mandatory jail sentence for bad driving: I think statistically 25% of all deaths on the road come from young drivers group. IMO, driving licenses should be given to people over 21.

Comment

IMO, driving licenses should be given to people over 21.
        Surely they should have to take a test or something?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          Surely they should have to take a test or something?
          No, no test required, but if they make a single mistake then they go to jail for at least a year.

Those over 25 can take a test.

Comment

No, no test required, but if they make a single mistake then they go to jail for at least a year.

Those over 25 can take a test.
            That is a brilliant idea. I can't believe it's not enforced already. Genius really.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              That is a brilliant idea. I can't believe it's not enforced already. Genius really.
              Yes, Napoleon next room said the same

Comment

Surely a car is only a danger when it's moving. Cars not moving do not tend to kill people. So if you drive everywhere as fast as possible you reduce the time your car is moving and so reduce the chance of running somebody over.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Yes, but there you'd have to compete with pretty good drivers and pretty good cars, people like DodgyAgent love speed past law abiding citizens who stick to the speed limit, and DodgyAgents of this world think that by overtaking those people they are somehow good drivers. Pathetic really!
                  Maybe DodgyAgent is a good driver, and can see a safe way past the slower drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                    Maybe DodgyAgent is a good driver, and can see a safe way past the slower drivers.
                    as long as the pavement is clear there is no reason why we cannot drive on it. After all pedestrians walk on roads a lot.

It's only fair
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                      Maybe he is really Schumacher posting here because he is bored of motor-racing. However accidents do happen, I can accept that in some cases exceeding speed limit can be safe, but a lot of people do it in built-up areas (30 mph) and this really is wrong - the difference between hitting a child or person at 30 mph and 40 mph is almost the same as difference between life and death, if you want to speed go speed on empty motorway (but no more than 80 mph).

Frankly I am not an angel when it comes to speeding but I have really cracked down on it and now drive very carefully even when it is empty road, you never know what can happen, for most people driving a 1.5 ton car is the biggest weapons they will ever get so they should approach it with great caution.

Case in point - 30 mph speed limits are the for a reason, if people speed on them 40 mph then it might be very hard to pull from sideroad into the mainroad simply because people drive way too fast for the road, this is seriously annoying and disrupts traffic flow.

Comment

Working...
                      X