• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is IT Support dead?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it support

it support monkey = marginally better than flipping burgers but you will get the same treatment from clients...

Comment

Originally posted by sappatz View Post
      it support monkey = marginally better than flipping burgers but you will get the same treatment from clients...
      Was it easy to move from flipping burgers into IT Support - do you miss the free burger at lunchtime or did your agency negotiate that into your current contract?

dr_beat (dumb support monkey)

Comment

IT support is dead.

I am generally better than 99% of the "support" guys I see and I also work as a trucker!

Current role I am doing some data analysis with some vba and VB6 thrown in for good measure. Not amazing but good enough considering that I didn't know VB until 3 days ago - learning on the job is the ways its meant to be.

Comment

support people will always be needed, as when the developers eventually break their pc they need a support monkey to rebuild it.

lol, the joys or arguing with developers about not saving data on their local hdd, "i know best im a developer" what if your hdd dies "i will fix it im a developer"

shame they can`t fix the wanky oracle database that crashes every 2 days first.

thank god i don`t need to deal with people like that anymore

Comment

Was it ever alive?

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
              support people will always be needed, as when the developers eventually break their pc they need a support monkey to rebuild it.

lol, the joys or arguing with developers about not saving data on their local hdd, "i know best im a developer" what if your hdd dies "i will fix it im a developer"

shame they can`t fix the wanky oracle database that crashes every 2 days first.

thank god i don`t need to deal with people like that anymore
              LOL

I've read some of your past posts unemployed. What are you working in these days? I take it you're out of support for good?

Comment

Originally posted by dr_beat View Post
                LOL

I've read some of your past posts unemployed. What are you working in these days? I take it you're out of support for good?
                i actually still do support but it is more infrastructure based not really visiting users desktops or anything like that.

i do the odd contract here and their to keep busy , got a couple of interviews this week for some perm jobs so hopefully i will get one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
                  i actually still do support but it is more infrastructure based not really visiting users desktops or anything like that.

i do the odd contract here and their to keep busy , got a couple of interviews this week for some perm jobs so hopefully i will get one of those.
                  That's good! Glad it's working out for you!

Comment

Originally posted by dr_beat View Post
                    That's good! Glad it's working out for you!
                    thanks

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Chim chimeny chim chimeny chim chim cherooooooooo....?

There was an article in the paper the other day about someone who's set up a chimney sweeping business... seems to be doing well...

My grandfather was, amongst other things (like running a market garden), a chimney sweep.
                      Fortunately our one didn't burst into song (it would probably have added an extra £20 to the bill).

I did make sure to shake hands with him though.

Comment

Working...
                      X