• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lentil munching loons are going to ban lightbulbs in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great - great idea that one...

I really want to bathe every room in my house with a sickening-yellow/green light - a light that doesn't switch on properly straight away - that you have to wait for until it kicks in. A light with a perceptible flicker (not to most people, warranted - but I can see the flicker from fluorescent lighting and it gives me a headache).

Oh - and the most important point for me - I use daylight simulation bulbs at the drawing board in my anglepoise - it's the only way I can do anything close to proper colour-matching, and the contrast produced by blue light far exceeds tungsten, fluorescent and halogen lighting. If this takes off I'm buying all the daylight bulbs I can get my hands on.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
      Great - great idea that one...

I really want to bathe every room in my house with a sickening-yellow/green light - a light that doesn't switch on properly straight away - that you have to wait for until it kicks in. A light with a perceptible flicker (not to most people, warranted - but I can see the flicker from fluorescent lighting and it gives me a headache).

Oh - and the most important point for me - I use daylight simulation bulbs at the drawing board in my anglepoise - it's the only way I can do anything close to proper colour-matching, and the contrast produced by blue light far exceeds tungsten, fluorescent and halogen lighting. If this takes off I'm buying all the daylight bulbs I can get my hands on.
      You talking about the same bulbs - the modern kind like? I use them at home and apart from taking a couple of seconds to get going I don't really notice any major difference.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
        You talking about the same bulbs - the modern kind like? I use them at home and apart from taking a couple of seconds to get going I don't really notice any major difference.
        Some obviously start up quicker than others then - I got one for the house to try it out and it takes about 10-15 seconds to 'warm up'.

The colour is very different - you won't notice unless you spend a lot of time working with colour/white balances, or you design/illustrate/paint for a living.

Comment

Like most modern-thinking, green-minded folk, I have a single energy-saving light bulb, which salves my conscience as I drive my great big 4X4 diesel-burning Jeep MuthaFecker at 80mph past the local schools, on my way to the airport, for my daily Easy Jet shuttle commute from Luton to Glasgow.

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
            Like most modern-thinking, green-minded folk, I have a single energy-saving light bulb, which salves my conscience as I drive my great big 4X4 diesel-burning Jeep MuthaFecker at 80mph past the local schools, on my way to the airport, for my daily Easy Jet shuttle commute from Luton to Glasgow.
            Is that before or after you've snorted and injected the daily batch of drugs that so clearly addles what you call your brain?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Is that before or after you've snorted and injected the daily batch of drugs that so clearly addles what you call your brain?
              That was so dull.

Comment

If every UKhousehold installed 3 Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs enough energy would be saved in a year to supply all street lighting in the UK.
                Are councils planning to install energy-saving bulbs in all these street lights.
                What about all these poorly designed street lights that emit light in ALL directions rather than down towards the ground where it is needed.

Admittedly I don't use it a great deal, but I have a bedside lamp (originally a computer desk lamp) with an energy efficient bulb in that I bought in 1998 and I'm still using the original bulb. is this a record?
                Last edited by KathyWoolfe; 28 September 2007, 15:15.
                It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Do we really need light?

Blind people seem to cope well.

I suggest we ban light to save Carbon.

Comment

Global Warming: Everyone knows that the sun is the real culprit; never the same since Garry Bushell left.

Comment

Working...
                    X