• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

sharesin NorthernRock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

was it good buy or goodbye
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
      I had a manager who bought about £10k's worth of M&S stock in 1999 (I think), when M&S were predicted to go tits-up. Bought 'em for about 50p each (I think, again). The f---ing financial genius! And I said he was mad...
      I did the same thing with M&S, at about the same time.

At least, I thought I had, but the transaction went wrong or something and when I found out I never bothered to re-do it and stuck my money elsewhere.

I'd make a good financial adviser...

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
        I had a manager who bought about £10k's worth of M&S stock in 1999 (I think), when M&S were predicted to go tits-up. Bought 'em for about 50p each (I think, again). The f---ing financial genius! And I said he was mad...
        I did a similar thing with Marconi, bought a shed load at 98p just after they had suspended trading..... I thought big company, good products, it can't go any lower.
        We all know how that one finished...

Still some you win, some you loose

Comment

apparently all their contractors were through Prosperity4....
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

I dont care about NR ,as long as cater allen is ok

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
              I did a similar thing with Marconi, bought a shed load at 98p just after they had suspended trading..... I thought big company, good products, it can't go any lower.

lose

Also, how do you buy shares after they've suspended trading???

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                lose

Also, how do you buy shares after they've suspended trading???
                The resumed the following day, that's when I bought... and they continued to fall....

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post

I used to work for Marconi, years before the troubles, but I still had a load of mates there with nice share options, you know, buy for a quid regardless of what the market price is.

Anyway, from a few quid, suddenly the shares were only worth 1p or something. Well pee'd off you are, isn't it.

Sorry, that's a hangover from the welsh thread.

Comment

If Northern Rock go belly up will the mortgage debt be wiped or just tranferred to a buying company for the princely sum of one pound ?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
                      I used to work for Marconi, years before the troubles, but I still had a load of mates there with nice share options, you know, buy for a quid regardless of what the market price is.

Anyway, from a few quid, suddenly the shares were only worth 1p or something. Well pee'd off you are, isn't it.

Sorry, that's a hangover from the welsh thread.
                      Me too. Were you ever at the NEC when Lord simpson gave all the graduates a £5 pound share and told us this would be worth £20+ in the years to come?

I got a 2p divi some years later and a share worth less than a sheet of loo paper.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X