• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good old Jeremy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Speeding is an odd criminal offence because it is (in its conception, whether or not it is in reality) about risk, not harm. It and other traffic offences like drinking and driving are not unique in that. Health and Safety regulations are another example. If laws are purely about harm and not risk, then we need to ask the questions: Will there be more harm overall? and: If there is more harm, is it worth it in the name of liberty?

There is an extreme libertatian view that laws relating to risk should be repealed. E.g. if someone drinks 10 pints and drives home without hurting anyone, fair enough, but if they kill someone, they should be very harshly punished. The idea is that people will themselves choose not to drink and drive because they will measure the risk themselves.

I don't agree with the above view myself so I suppose the trick is to find a middle ground.
    Very good and well put, an unusual phenomenon on this site
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      Most drivers do not drive within the speed limits, especially on that road. Would you punnish all drivers?
      No, I'd punish people who broke the law. Or maybe slightly less Draconian (and more British) - I'd punish people who were caught breaking the law.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. It bugs the hell out of me that people who know the speed limit, and know how to drive, and know how fast they are driving then whinge when they get caught.

I only speed in a 70 mph zone. However, if I get caught doing that, then I know that there is only one person that I can blame, hold my hands up and take the punishment.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        No, I'd punish people who broke the law. Or maybe slightly less Draconian (and more British) - I'd punish people who were caught breaking the law.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. It bugs the hell out of me that people who know the speed limit, and know how to drive, and know how fast they are driving then whinge when they get caught.

I only speed in a 70 mph zone. However, if I get caught doing that, then I know that there is only one person that I can blame, hold my hands up and take the punishment.

In other words "keep it simple".

Are you a member of a golf club by any chance?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          Very good and well put, an unusual phenomenon on this site
          I'm in a zen place at the moment. Normal ranting service will be resumed shortly.

You slag.

Comment

I'm in a zen place at the moment. Normal ranting service will be resumed shortly.

You slag.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Comment

Speeding is an odd criminal offence because it is (in its conception, whether or not it is in reality) about risk, not harm. It and other traffic offences like drinking and driving are not unique in that. Health and Safety regulations are another example. If laws are purely about harm and not risk, then we need to ask the questions: Will there be more harm overall? and: If there is more harm, is it worth it in the name of liberty?

There is an extreme libertatian view that laws relating to risk should be repealed. E.g. if someone drinks 10 pints and drives home without hurting anyone, fair enough, but if they kill someone, they should be very harshly punished. The idea is that people will themselves choose not to drink and drive because they will measure the risk themselves.

I don't agree with the above view myself so I suppose the trick is to find a middle ground.
                Lets look at this. Speed limits are imposed because of risk. If you drive faster there is more risk of harm, and so your are prosecuted, regardless of any harm caused. All based on statistics.

What if it were proposed that, based on statistics, if you were found on the streets after dark, you are young and black, and you have a record for petty crime, you should automatically be fined and criminalised, as statistically you are more likely to be mugger and cause people harm.

It would be thrown out as nonesense, but it is no different from making people criminals for driving a car because they fall into a statisical grouping.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Lets look at this. Speed limits are imposed because of risk. If you drive faster there is more risk of harm, and so your are prosecuted, regardless of any harm caused. All based on statistics.

What if it were proposed that, based on statistics, if you were found on the streets after dark, you are young and black, and you have a record for petty crime, you should automatically be fined and criminalised, as statistically you are more likely to be mugger and cause people harm.

It would be thrown out as nonesense, but it is no different from making people criminals for driving a car because they fall into a statisical grouping.
                  So do we abolish drinking and driving laws on the same basis?

Comment

[QUOTE=DimPrawn;298572]Lets look at this. Speed limits are imposed because of risk. If you drive faster there is more risk of harm, and so your are prosecuted, regardless of any harm caused. All based on statistics.
                    [QUOTE]

Bogus statistics. The fact is speed is only a factor in a small minority of accidents. This is why the accident rate has remained the same over the last 10 years despite exponential growth in speed cameras.

The guy who runs this site has compiled statistics based on actual data, at it reveals who fraudulaent the governemnt claims are, especially the 80% of children die if hit at 40 rubbish.
                    http://www.safespeed.org.uk/

and read this..

In May 2005 they decided that speed camera side effects needed to be researched.

In December 2005 they discovered that neglect of a statistical bias had exaggerated the main benefit of speed cameras by 400%. The claimed '100 lives per year saved at speed camera sites' is downgraded to 25 lives saved.

In June 2006 they discovered that the ongoing beneficial trend in road crash serious injuries was just a feature of the way these crashes are reported. Hospitalisation statistics don't show the same trend. Road deaths don't show the same trend.

In September 2006 they discovered that the proportion of injury crashes involving any speeding vehicle nationally was only 5% - not the 'one third' that they had previously claimed.

In March we learned via Freedom of Information request that the speed camera side effects research (announced in May 2005) had been axed. It is inconceivable that the side effects DON'T cost more than 25 lives per year, meaning that speed cameras are making road safety worse. But DfT doesn't want to hear this, which is the only possible reason for axing the most important research.

So here's the truth. Speed camera policy has failed catastrophically. Department for Transport KNOWS that it has failed but won't admit their deadly mistake and pull the plug. They seem to be hoping that speed cameras will fade away over the next five years, yet they know that the policy isn't working and is costing lives. If that's not a reason for road users to get angry, I don't know what is.
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 7 September 2007, 11:32.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by wxman View Post
                      The site even says "Nick Freeman aka Mr Loophole" at the top! Classic.
                      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                      X