• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coding exercise during interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My current client gives techy tests to applicants for contractors, I think there a good thing.

On a couple of occassions we have taken people on who failed the tests, on both occassions they turned out to be cr*p when we took them on and we had to let them go.

Comment

A guy was interviewed here a couple of weeks back for a contract developer role. It was only after the technical test that he admitted he'd done very little of the required skill (PHP) and he sheepishly admitted that "I don't know much PHP, but I thought I'd try to blag it anyway".

If nobody was required to do technical tests, there'd be a lot of blagging contractors being paid a lot and achieving very little. It's pretty easy to stay under the radar in some of the larger organisations.

Comment

On behalf of my clients I have tested new contractors as part of the interview as a matter of course. No comedy l33tness required, I just want a feeling that they know the tools of the trade - don't want to be teaching them simple stuff once they are on the job.

It has proved useful once or twice. To be honest, the thing it tests the most is communication skills and thinking on your feet rather than cutting-edge skillz. If it's a phone interview and they panic with a simple question, it's not good, but if they try some vague shots at it that can be unrolled with a few follow-up questions I'm happy. In my case I'm always selecting for the team that I'm running, so 'hitting it off' is important. Techy knowledge has to be there, but I don't expect gurus - as was stated above, a quick Google is a remarkable refresher.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba View Post
          It has proved useful once or twice. To be honest, the thing it tests the most is communication skills and thinking on your feet rather than cutting-edge skillz. If it's a phone interview and they panic with a simple question, it's not good, but if they try some vague shots at it that can be unrolled with a few follow-up questions I'm happy.
          Why would "thinking on your feet" be preferable to a considered and weighted answer?
          How many of us work this way - do coders go with the first plausible thing that pops into their heads or do some analysis, ponder the possibilities and then come up with the best fit solution - I know which one I'd want to employ.
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba View Post
            I don't expect gurus - as was stated above, a quick Google is a remarkable refresher.
            Remind me how to use Google again?

Comment

Thanks. Er, how do I click a link?

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
                Lemme guess, this was for a 1 month contract with no renewal?

Sounds like a permie role interview to me
                it was for a permie job - which they offered - but it only with a 6 month fixed length contract and then a permanent job after that - because although I passed the interviewing - I only have a HND - not a degree.

... so I took a contract elsewhere instead.

Comment

Working...
                X