• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The worst thing about my work is...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Francko View Post
    The problem is that the people who design these processes do not have actually any clue about the process and they don't even bother asking the people who are involved with the process, and even if they asked most of them are still unable to understand the complexity of the issues. I think Lucy is right, too many useless managers who do not have the right experience nor knowledge.
    Ah...you have a very limited knowledge of process design I see.

Too many useless managers? Or is it too many cowboy developers? It is a known fact that as I have stated, most incidents are caused by unauthorised changes (by engineers and support bods) and poorly planned changes (again by engineers etc). I used to be an engineer so know both sides of the coin.

Cavalier engineers and devlopers, mixed with an overly complicated process is not going to help however.

One thing I have noted about this thread is the generalisation. Not all managers are clueless. That is like saying all developpers are hippy, sunshine avoiding Star Trek fanatics that speak in mumbo jumbo!!!
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post

!!!

He has a very limited knowledge of most things, including himself.
      Code monkey with delusions of grandeur.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Too many useless managers? Or is it too many cowboy developers? It is a known fact that as I have stated, most incidents are caused by unauthorised changes (by engineers and support bods) and poorly planned changes (again by engineers etc). I used to be an engineer so know both sides of the coin.

Cavalier engineers and devlopers, mixed with an overly complicated process is not going to help however.

One thing I have noted about this thread is the generalisation. Not all managers are clueless. That is like saying all developpers are hippy, sunshine avoiding Star Trek fanatics that speak in mumbo jumbo!!!
        Also many cowboy developers. But the problem is that the useless manager has the task of designing the process and he/she should consult with the cowboy developers/engineers and be able to understand their mambo-jumbo to convert it to plain english. It's good that you have been on both sides so you are able to approach them and discuss with them. So many others are unable to do that, sorry. It is not a generalisation, it is the unfortunate reality of many IT companies.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

To be fair, I don't think anyone has said all managers are useless, I said there were 'useless managers'. BTW the bit about developers is true.

Comment

Also many cowboy developers. But the problem is that the useless manager has the task of designing the process and he/she should consult with the cowboy developers/engineers and be able to understand their mambo-jumbo to convert it to plain english. It's good that you have been on both sides so you are able to approach them and discuss with them. So many others are unable to do that, sorry. It is not a generalisation, it is the unfortunate reality of many IT companies.
            I refer to my previous post.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

The thing is though, I cannot see how you can design a process without:

A - Understanding the business and the business drivers
              B - Understanding the need for the process
              C - Understanding and speaking to the people involved in the process

It does sound like there are some cowboys out there!!!!
              "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Long may there be. Those of us who know what we are doing develop a reputation and can name our price
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Code monkey with delusions of grandeur.
                  Now, now, who is the one who believes to be a grandeur....
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Now, now, who is the one who believes to be a grandeur....
                    That's why I get paid the big bucks
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

The thing is though, I cannot see how you can design a process without:

A - Understanding the business and the business drivers
                      B - Understanding the need for the process
                      C - Understanding and speaking to the people involved in the process

When you have somebody totally unskilled like sasguru, who does not have any technical nor business skills (and no being able to spring buzzwords is not a business skill) nor communication nor listening skills, in charge of this process, the design can only come up as wrong, unnecessarily complicated and incomplete. And no point in blaming cowboy developers or engineers. It should all have been designed properly from the root.

Comment

Working...
                      X