• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rotterdam Y/N

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm contracting in Eindhoven at the moment, lovely place. Work ethics seem to be completely missing from the company, as long as the work is done no one gives a toss what you do.

Also got the extra added bonus that I'm paid via a UK subsiduary company and do the occasional stint at the UK office and work from home 2 days a week so I don't need to go through a Dutch umbrella co.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Rotterdam - is a testimony to Nazi barbarism, Hitler's Luftwaffe leveled the centre of the historic centre in a terrible firestorm and threatened to do the same to Amsterdam the next day should the Dutch refuse to capitulate.

I stayed in the West of Rotterdam a very pretty canal area call Vlaardingen which had been spared the wrath of the Luftwaffe - Rotterdam is not Amsterdam - this could be Rotterdam could be anywhere ...

Eindhoven - more aptly named PhilipsVille - not the most lively of towns and not much to see after youve seen the White Lady (no thats not a drug reference but a building owned by Philips Lightning ) - I recall Eindhoven has one coffee shop -The Pink - I think - visited by students and brooding xpats - very lively duing the carnival month , tends to be scoffed at by those arrogant Amsterdammers due to its Catholic population - whom I found to be more friendly than their calvin countrymen.
      Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 6 September 2007, 09:32.

Comment

There's a drive thru' brothel next to the site that Mr Windy Anna works at in Eindhoven.

Apparently you drive up to the first hut and select your "companion", drive to the second building and make your payment and then drive off!

WA

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post

Eindhoven - more aptly named PhilipsVille - not the most lively of towns and not much to see after youve seen the White Lady (no thats not a drug reference but a building owned by Philips Lightning ) - I recall Eindhoven has one coffee shop -The Pink - I think - visited by students and brooding xpats - very lively duing the carnival month , tends to be scoffed at by those the Amsterdammers due to its Catholic populataion - whom I found to be more friendly than their calvin countrymen.
          I work just across the road from that building on Emmasingel, not working with Philips and from the people I've talked to in the Hotel it appears that only about 80% of business visitors are associated with Philips.

As for the coffee shops, I'm sure there's at least 2... apart from a passing curiosity not something that would interest myself.

As for being lively, its a university town, Wednesday night onwards tends to be busy enough, plenty of bars a lot of which open at 10pm. Evening street events seem to be almost weekly. Plenty of restaurants too, of varying quality but have yet to have anything as bad as you can get in the UK.

For culture, theres a very modern looking art museum/Gallery (Van Abbe) in the city center. Theres also the Philips light bulb museum (also on Emmasingel and across the road from the white lady)
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by WindyAnna View Post
            There's a drive thru' brothel next to the site that Mr Windy Anna works at in Eindhoven.

Apparently you drive up to the first hut and select your "companion", drive to the second building and make your payment and then drive off!

WA
            So it's bonking in cars is it? ...OK if you're a teenager... but middle aged?
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              I work just across the road from that building on Emmasingel, not working with Philips and from the people I've talked to in the Hotel it appears that only about 80% of business visitors are associated with Philips.

As for the coffee shops, I'm sure there's at least 2... apart from a passing curiosity not something that would interest myself.

As for being lively, its a university town, Wednesday night onwards tends to be busy enough, plenty of bars a lot of which open at 10pm. Evening street events seem to be almost weekly. Plenty of restaurants too, of varying quality but have yet to have anything as bad as you can get in the UK.

For culture, theres a very modern looking art museum/Gallery (Van Abbe) in the city center. Theres also the Philips light bulb museum (also on Emmasingel and across the road from the white lady)
              Aye Troll

Yes you are correct there is another coffee shop - I think some kind of Turkish place full of neer'do'wells - best avoided - in fact the Dutch themselves dont frequent these coffee houses- but like to have them as badge of their liberalism -in fact they do tend to be tedious places better visitng the lively bars (whats the street which is nothing but bars ?) around and during the February carnival Eindhoven does rock - all night long.

Interesting I didnt know of the Van Abbe - shame on me - maybe next time.

Budding contractors should note that its not an easy place to find accomodation - I stayed in a rather depressing B and B for some time though after 6 months I managed to get an appartment - but they are not cheap.

Enjoy your stay in Eindhoven - the other thing worth doing is a trip to Den Bosch (about 20 mins by train) very interesting historic town and is the centre of the Carnival Fun !
              Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 6 September 2007, 10:21.

Comment

(whats the street which is nothing but bars ?)
                That would be Stratumseind, I'm staying in a hotel at the end of that street. On a friday morning the street cleaners are out in force cleaning all the puke and piss of the street

around and during the February carnival Eindhoven does rock - all night long.
                Fingers crossed i'll still be in Eindhoven at that time, I've heard a lot about it from the Hotel staff (they even mentioned coming back especially for it)

Enjoy your stay in Eindhoven - the other thing worth doing is a trip to Den Bosch (about 20 mins by train) very interesting historic town and is the centre of the Carnival Fun !
                Will try sometime, want to go to a few other places too which colleagues have recommended

Budding contractors should note that its not an easy place to find accomodation - I stayed in a rather depressing B and B for some time though after 6 months I managed to get an appartment - but they are not cheap
                Luckily the client pays for flights, taxis, trains and hotels so i'm not fussed about the price of accomodation. As for renting, it is expensive thanks to the university and Philips taking up everything. I know someone whos been living in a shed in someones back garden for the last 12 months.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Ah yes happy memories of Den Bosch, I use to live and work in Drunen just outside Den Bosch in the early nineties, splendid forest with sand dunes in the middle, dotted with lakes and a pub at each corner of forest, cycling was most entertaining after few Trappist brews.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    I know someone whos been living in a shed in someones back garden for the last 12 months.
                    Think that might be Mr Windy Anna! You'll find it is a hut, I think!

Comment

Originally posted by WindyAnna View Post
                      Think that might be Mr Windy Anna! You'll find it is a hut, I think!
                      Check your PMs
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X