• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top 20 countries for quality of life

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trouble with the other countries (non-UK) is that they are full of foreigners.

*looks out of the window*

Oh, wait...
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
      The trouble with the other countries (non-UK) is that they are full of foreigners.

*looks out of the window*

Oh, wait...
      1. Norway - Nothing to say

2. Iceland - Well, fine, but how many job opportunities are there?

3. Australia - Too far

4. Ireland - Where is this big standard of living in Ireland? So far I have only received complaints from friends who live there, how grim and what poor services they have. Perhaps I have only met the ones who like to complain

5. Sweden - ok
      6. Canada - OK

7. Japan - Japan??????!!!!?????!!! If quality of life doesn't count cubicles instead of houses and 7 days of vacation per year besides the 12 hour working day then what's quality of life?

8. USA - that deserves to be differentiated. People in Iowa do have a much lower quality of life than in California and even within one single country the differences are huge. It would be the same as considering Europe as a country.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
        People in Iowa do have a much lower quality of life than in California and even within one single country the differences are huge. It would be the same as considering Europe as a country.
        More bollocks from Francko. Are you saying the population of Iowa (mostly farmers) have a lower quality of life than someone living in LA? Or do you mean standard of living? Have you ever even been to the mid-West? I would say the quality of life is high (large homes, working the land, little pollution etc) even if money is short.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          More bollocks from Francko. Are you saying the population of Iowa (mostly farmers) have a lower quality of life than someone living in LA? Or do you mean standard of living? Have you ever even been to the mid-West? I would say the quality of life is high (large homes, working the land, little pollution etc) even if money is short.
          Yes, quality of life meant as standards of living, correct.. No point in debating whether quality is in rural or urban environments.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nindex105.xml

However, the news is not all bleak. The country is world leader for attracting investment from foreign countries and the figure for carbon emissions per person is less than half that of America.

We pay lots of different taxes in order to have a lower carbon footprint so how exactly does that affect my quality of life other than reduce my disposable income??

note: Dang65 need not answer.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              All a bit subjective. I've lived four of the countries in the top 10, and visited all but one of the top 20 and there's no way in the world I'd put them in that order either.

Not being funny but htf does a place that has months go past when the sun doesn't shine make it into the world's top 20? I was there for a long weekend and as much as I liked it I'd have been bored out of my skull after a week.
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Francko,

'No point in debating whether quality is in rural or urban environments',

why no point in debating this ?

Most would say that rural people have a higher quality of life than suburban people.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                  All a bit subjective. I've lived four of the countries in the top 10, and visited all but one of the top 20 and there's no way in the world I'd put them in that order either.

Not being funny but htf does a place that has months go past when the sun doesn't shine make it into the world's top 20? I was there for a long weekend and as much as I liked it I'd have been bored out of my skull after a week.
                  So by that rational Africa must by a nice spot to live?

Depends wat floats your boat, constant flashing lights like Vegas or peice and quiet? Most Norwegians I know cherrish the latter.
                  They put social agenda before work, most Brits out here I meet are annoyed as @£@£ at the attitude to work labour out here. Locals could not give a flying @£$@
                  Not many housing estates around where I live despite being the 2nd most populated city in Norway, everywhere is different.
                  Most folks finish work around 2.30/3pm, 32 hours a week is the norm.
                  I can choose to walk in the green countryside or shop for designer brands all within a square mile of the front door.
                  When on the train the conductor looked for me to give me my ticket that I reserved earlier in the week, he knew my name, purpose of travel, wished me a good day, imagine that service in the UK? I think not!
                  The list goes on...

I still don't know the half of it for time I've been out here I don't expect I shall by the time I leave either.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Depends wat floats your boat, constant flashing lights like Vegas or peice and quiet? Most Norwegians I know cherrish the latter.
                    They put social agenda before work, most Brits out here I meet are annoyed as @£@£ at the attitude to work labour out here. Locals could not give a flying @£$@
                    Not many housing estates around where I live despite being the 2nd most populated city in Norway, everywhere is different.
                    Most folks finish work around 2.30/3pm, 32 hours a week is the norm.
                    I can choose to walk in the green countryside or shop for designer brands all within a square mile of the front door.
                    When on the train the conductor looked for me to give me my ticket that I reserved earlier in the week, he knew my name, purpose of travel, wished me a good day, imagine that service in the UK? I think not!
                    The list goes on...

I still don't know the half of it for time I've been out here I don't expect I shall by the time I leave either.
                    And all coz they invested their North Sea oil revenue wisely.
                    Still no country in the world can hope to compete in the long run on a 32 hour week.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I certainly wouldn't say Africa isn't a nice place to live (warzones aside) - the reason people over there don't enjoy life is because they're plagued by poverty. People with money in Africa don't have a bad life at all. I'd say it's different as opposed to better or worse.

Comment

Working...
                      X