• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hooray! Australia actively seeking Brits to emigrate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Bollo**s the Australians are bone idle. The people who work hard are the immigrants from Asia. If Australia is such a great place why dont Australians stay at home?
    With the rise of the Asian economies, I wouldn't be suirprised if Australia is well placed to benefit in the long run, geographically and demographically
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Bollo**s the Australians are bone idle. The people who work hard are the immigrants from Asia. If Australia is such a great place why dont Australians stay at home?
      IMHO why Australians don't stay at home:
      1) Better work opportunities in the UK/US/Asia
      2) Make more money, pay less tax in the UK/US/Asia
      3) Adventure, see the world - hard to do that from Australia

Having said that, the lifestyle is slower paced, more open space, the people friendlier and it's warm and sunny most of the year. Ideal place to be when you've had enough of life in the fast lane and/or have a young family.

Believe it or not Australians are more property mad than the British and rates have gone up from 5 - 8% in the last few years so people are working harder and longer to pay off all the debt.
      Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Dodgy, I must disagree with you on this one, I've worked for years in both places and the english are definitely less interested in work. It is just not part of the culture in Australia, to 'need to leave early to pick-up child, dog, cat etc' and there is a lot less of the 'better not question the boss' people are so much more willing to just get on with it.

Comment

A longer hours culture definitely prevails for IT professionals in Australia. Whether they are actually more productive is debatable.

Comment

Originally posted by Devlin View Post
            A longer hours culture definitely prevails for IT professionals in Australia. Whether they are actually more productive is debatable.

I disagree, I never did the hours there I do here, and neither did anyone else. Less time in meetings and in seeking approval from a thousand others though. Definitely more productive.

Comment

Originally posted by Devlin View Post

That is because they have no life outside of work
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                I disagree, I never did the hours there I do here, and neither did anyone else. Less time in meetings and in seeking approval from a thousand others though. Definitely more productive.
                Not my experience, although I haven't worked for investment banks here. I've rarely worked more than 45 hours a week here whereas my experience in Australia was 60 hours+ as the norm. This is also bourne out by alot of my friends still working over there.

I would agree with you if you are talking about 15 years ago, the work ethic (or lack of) was very different in Oz back then!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Wife is expecting a baby.
                  Yours?

Comment

Funny you should say that. Missus wants to call the baby Winston, named after our Jamaican window cleaner.

Comment

Gotta agree with the hours comment people talk about - normal working day in Sydney in my experience was 9-6, not 9-5 like here. People worked harder and do longer hours. I worked in banking in four countries and Oz was easily the hardest working place (Though US wasn't far off, and I guess it depends slightly on the firm you work for).

Then again they see sickies the way we see holidays - took me ages to get my head round the concept that when you asked how many holidays people had they actually meant it when they said four weeks holiays and two weeks sick.
                      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                      X