• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living in London city

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Francko View Post
    Dull, grey, over-priced,...no community feeling. .

But enough about Switzerland. And skint as well, eh Francko.
    Worry not, though, at least Switzerland has legalised euthanasia.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      I think the London of 20 years ago was another city
      True, but my bit about checking the area out in evenings and weekends still stands.

Sysman in

a) I didn't realise a pedestrian zone could be so dusty
      b) I didn't realise it's the 4-5 o'clock route home for customers of a local hight club

mode.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I lived 50 yards from Barbican Tube - loved it. Walk home from work then over to Holmes place gym for a swim.

Not quite so good for kids.

Comment

There's loads of flats being built just east of the City, especially east of Leman street. (say 25 minutes walk from Barbican, probably less to wherever you work.) Some old office buildings are also being converted. (Look not just at the east side of Leman street but the backstreets to the east of it as well.)
          Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 20 August 2007, 12:06.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
            There's loads of flats being built just east of the City, especially east of Leman street. (say 25 minutes walk from Barbican, probably less to wherever you work.) Some old office buildings are also being converted. (Look not just at the east side of Leman street but the backstreets to the east of it as well.)
            Sounds good, do you know which agents are handling them?
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              Sounds good, do you know which agents are handling them?
              Carringtons, usually. That's where I had my BTLs.

Or comt to think of it: Ludlow Thompson and Felicity J. Lord
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

But enough about Switzerland. And skint as well, eh Francko.
                Worry not, though, at least Switzerland has legalised euthanasia.
                I can tell you that close to the center for me means being able to leave your home and walk there in 5-10 minutes. Luckily I can do that.

Are you able to walk to Shoreditch? Maybe in half an hour if you don't get stabbed on the way by a gang.

Once you are out of London (don't need to go abroad, there are also many beautiful towns in UK) you start realising what you have been missing all these years, trust me. The Center of London is not Barbican or Shoreditch. A couple of trendy bars among dumpsters and gangs doesn't make an area the "center". It's amazing how London can modify your perspective and let you lose touch with the reality.

Now, when you will be able to afford a house in the West end I might consider you a "center" boy then... so far you are just an eastender.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

blah blah my words show what a loser I am etc etc
                  Nuff said
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Nuff said
                    As I said, you lose the grip on reality in London.
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

As I said, you lose the grip on reality in London.
                      shut it, poor Eurotrash boy.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X