• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving BMWs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fzbucks
    "REAL" Drivers turn it off
    And code in C++!!!!
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
      And code in C++!!!!
      C++ is for poofs, assembly is for the hardcore

Comment

A lot of the understeer problems can be counteracted by good tyres and suspension setup, my current car is lighter and more powerful than all the other FWD cars I have owned but I have yet to encounter understeer, I lose my nerve before the losing the grip, In the wet its a different story but that applies to both FWD and RWD, no matter what you have the laws of physics will always catch you out if you push hard enough.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
          I have a front wheel drive car and rear wheel drive one. Front wheel drive have dialled in understeer meaning the car will tend to go wide on cornering, and sometimes not have enough turn into a corner. With front wheel drive the car is trying to do two things through the front wheels, turn and power, this impedes the handling especially when you get torque steer with powerful front wheel drive. It's harder to tell when front wheel is losing grip because it's less communitive because of the issues above, that's why many powerful front wheel drives understeer into crashes on bends, it's gone before you realise. Front wheel drive cars can't deal with more than about 220 bhp.

Rear wheel drives don't have the above compromises, the front wheel only have to concentrate on steering, if you start to lose grip you feel it through the seat of you pants or through the wheel, so it can make you a safer driver. You need to be careful of powering into corners in rear wheel drive, so you can't drive one as you would a hot hatch and you need to be more careful in the wet.
          BMWs have traction control so even oversteer isn't an issue anymore unless you turn it off.

And you wonder why women give you a wide berth.
          Pub bore.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
            A lot of the understeer problems can be counteracted by good tyres and suspension setup, my current car is lighter and more powerful than all the other FWD cars I have owned but I have yet to encounter understeer, I lose my nerve before the losing the grip, In the wet its a different story but that applies to both FWD and RWD, no matter what you have the laws of physics will always catch you out if you push hard enough.
            The laws of physics do not apply to BMWs. Newton's 4th law of motion, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
              And when they do Id rather be in a RWD car than a FWD car. Actually Id rather be in a 4WD car the most

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru

Pub bore.
                We're not talking about boats, divvy.

Comment

Originally posted by dotnetter
                  C++ is for poofs, assembly is for the hardcore
                  Says a .NET scripter.

All the worst drivers on the road used to have Golf TDis. I've noticed recently they all seem to have upgraded to BMW 3 series diesels.

I have an S2000, and a manly early one too. According to some it's impossible to drive one without crashing every few miles.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                    Says a .NET scripter.
                    Yeah and what?

Thats what earns me a wedge, and it's by far the best development platform in business land

(awaits the JAVA/Ruby onslaught)

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru

Pub bore.
                      On yer (ladies) bike!
                      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                      X