• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TazMaN
    Look at it as an investor. You bought the property at a great time, when prices were low and hence yields were high. People buying now are getting yields of 4 or 5%, whereas you're probably getting closer to 8%.

If you sold the property, would you be able to use the proceeds to achieve a stable 8% return anywhere else? Yes prices might fall a little in the near term, but long term prices will rise and in the meantime you've got a great yield.
    There's a flaw in your logic here. The capital value of the property has risen so you can get double the cash out if you sell it. This means that you will only be able to get 4% or less on that cash.

My opinion is sell. I can't see prices rising much more, we are in a classic bubble, and soon it will go pop!

Take a look at the discussion forums on www.housepricecrash.co.uk for more opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip
      There's a flaw in your logic here. The capital value of the property has risen so you can get double the cash out if you sell it. This means that you will only be able to get 4% or less on that cash.
      These are my thoughts as well - I'm still getting virtually the same rent as I got 6 years ago - it was 7% yield then, approx 3% now (service charges up by 50% as well!) - as the value of the property has doubled - so as an investment it's poor.

I'd like to move back to London so will sell both my main residence and my BTL and buy a nice-ish place in town with a small or no mortgage.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse
        I'm probably going to regret asking but I've got a BLT in East London that's doubled in value over 6 years. Do I take the money now and buy a nicer house for myself or leave where it is?
        Wow, the sarnie market in London is really growing, if a simple bacon lettuce and tomato can double in value despite being 6 years old.

Take the profits and invest in property - I hear that buy to let (BTL) is the way forward...
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse
          These are my thoughts as well - I'm still getting virtually the same rent as I got 6 years ago - it was 7% yield then, approx 3% now (service charges up by 50% as well!) - as the value of the property has doubled - so as an investment it's poor.

I'd like to move back to London so will sell both my main residence and my BTL and buy a nice-ish place in town with a small or no mortgage.
          Similar boat. The poroperty I have retained in the thames valley is now worth (in theory) about 220k. It yields about 7k after agents fees, insurance and the odd repair. After paying mortgage I clear about 1k.

If I flogged and paid the CGT I'd cash out about 120k. So I actually need about 4% house price inflation to stay even with cash. The only reason I'm hangin on to it is the thought of all that CGT to be handed over.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
            The only reason I'm hangin on to it is the thought of all that CGT to be handed over.
            Well why don't you 'move in' for 6 months, change the gas, CT and elec to your name convert the mortgage to a personal one, not a BTL then sell it....

hth
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
              Similar boat. The poroperty I have retained in the thames valley is now worth (in theory) about 220k. It yields about 7k after agents fees, insurance and the odd repair. After paying mortgage I clear about 1k.

If I flogged and paid the CGT I'd cash out about 120k. So I actually need about 4% house price inflation to stay even with cash. The only reason I'm hangin on to it is the thought of all that CGT to be handed over.
              You don't need to pay any CGT. Read this guide.

http://www.taxcafe.co.uk/property-tax-guide.html

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt
                You don't need to pay any CGT. Read this guide.

http://www.taxcafe.co.uk/property-tax-guide.html
                This answer comes out every now and then, I'm still waiting for somebody who has bought the guide to explain the wonderful method of avoiding CGT other than moving into the property as suggested by Gooner !?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall
                  This answer comes out every now and then, I'm still waiting for somebody who has bought the guide to explain the wonderful method of avoiding CGT other than moving into the property as suggested by Gooner !?
                  Buy it you tight git.

Or simply roll over and hand over thousands of pounds.

Comment

Buy it you tight git.

That's always the next answer ! Still waiting.

Comment

Buy it you tight git.

I've just bought a copy, who wants me to email them the pdf....£10 and it's yours.
                      SA says;
                      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                      (whatever these are)

Comment

Working...
                      X