• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Central heating

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lockhouse
    ISTR £1800 for a 3 bet flat - It would have been cheaper but there were technical problems that needed to be solved as well.
    p.s. British gas might be pricey but they're not a rip-off. They also have a huge back-up operation if things go wrong.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
      I'm having a BG engineer round next week to take a look at the house. He suggested over the phone that a realistic price for a C/H installation from scratch in a house of this type (2 bed through terrace) would be 4.5k, which seems a bit over the mark to me.

What did the boiler install cost?
      For CORGI registered installer to replace the existing boiler and move it from kitchen to garage, get rid of the cold water tank in the loft, existing hot water tank in airing cupboard and do the associated plumbing to make it all work once the parts had been moved around/removed cost me £1500.

This guy also does contract work for BG, so if you paid BG to do it there is a good chance you would get him coming along to do it for you ayway. £4500 to put in an extra 5 radiators and do the associated plumbing seems a bit steep to me (i'm assuming 5 radiators in a 2 bed terrace).

Comment

ISTR £1800 for a 3 bet flat - It would have been cheaper but there were technical problems that needed to be solved as well.
        I think that's a brilliant price considering the cost of the condensing (presumably combi) boiler, pipework, about 5-7 rads I guess, and the labour to fit it.

I had a quote for a oil-based system for a 2/3 bed (soon to be a 4 bed) detached house at 13k. Needless to say I didn't take them up on it but I was expecting about 4-7k.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
          £4500 to put in an extra 5 radiators and do the associated plumbing seems a bit steep to me (i'm assuming 5 radiators in a 2 bed terrace).
          The £4500 is to replace the existing hot water boiler with a combi and install around 5 radiators around the house. Not sure how clear I was about this before.

Chugnut - I think Lockhouse just had a replacement boiler - can see no mention of rads in the post.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut
            I think that's a brilliant price considering the cost of the condensing (presumably combi) boiler, pipework, about 5-7 rads I guess, and the labour to fit it.
            That was for a boiler install only....I did say there were technical issues.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

That was for a boiler install only....I did say there were technical issues.
              Ah, I missed that. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
                The £4500 is to replace the existing hot water boiler with a combi and install around 5 radiators around the house. Not sure how clear I was about this before.

Chugnut - I think Lockhouse just had a replacement boiler - can see no mention of rads in the post.
                Yup pretty clear. My price was to replace the existing 20 year old boiler that only did the heating system in the house with a brand new Worcester-Bosch condensing combi boiler that did the heating and the hot water supply (previously hot water supply was a hot water tank with an electric element).

As stated above they did quite a bit of work for the money and I can't belive that plonking a few radiators in would cost £3000 above what I paid. It sounds very steep indeed.

Comment

I paid £3800 last year to have two boilers removed, a new BIG boiler fitted (5 bedroom, three storey house to heat), one new radiator, and new thermostat fitted.

New boiler is a condensing, combi boiler, with its own hot water tank as a kind of immersion heater (it gets used first while the rest heats up). The boiler itself was about £2500, so the rest was relatively cheap.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaqqer
                    I paid £3800 last year to have two boilers removed, a new BIG boiler fitted (5 bedroom, three storey house to heat), one new radiator, and new thermostat fitted.

New boiler is a condensing, combi boiler, with its own hot water tank as a kind of immersion heater (it gets used first while the rest heats up). The boiler itself was about £2500, so the rest was relatively cheap.
                    Have you found usage of the hot water by a number of sources simultaneously makes the flow at the taps significantly reduce though, TheFagger?

I'd go the combi route for ease of install but had heard from numerous parties that if someone is running a bath at the same time as running the hot tap, the supply drops to a trickle.

"Good for flats, not so good for families", they cried.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut
                      Have you found usage of the hot water by a number of sources simultaneously makes the flow at the taps significantly reduce though, TheFagger?

I'd go the combi route for ease of install but had heard from numerous parties that if someone is running a bath at the same time as running the hot tap, the supply drops to a trickle.

"Good for flats, not so good for families", they cried.
                      No - the boiler has some stupidly high throughput, so I've not noticed any difference.

Haven't tried running the bath at the same time as the shower though. With the old heating, you had to run the cold tap on the bath, so that there wasn't enough water anywhere else and all you could get was hot out of the shower. That was to get it up to "tepid", so what we have now was well worth the expenditure!
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X