• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Central heating

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chicane
    I'm torn between getting a local non-Corgi registered geezer (mate of a mate) to install it (£2300) or British Gas (~£4000+). Don't want to phone up random plumbers in the Yellow Pages for fear of getting ripped off. This is for our 2 bed rental property.

Any words of wisdom much appreciated.
    Put it in yourself then take the batteries out of the carbon monoxide detector

Comment

So that's the choice you've given yourself, eh ? ; some guy who isn't qualified versus rip-off British Gas. What kind of businessman are you ?

Here is my advice, for what it's worth :-

- Get recommendations from friends, neighbours, other landlords, whoever - for properly qualified plumbers. Some claim to be registered and aren't but you can easily check with Corgi. If you're renting then you get seriously done by not following the law on gas fitting.

- If you want to save money, then get your mate to run all the water pipework and fit the rads. You can shop around for the boiler and rads yourself and maybe get some kind of discount if it's an energy efficient one.

- Get your Corgi gas plumber to just fit the boiler.
      It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Going back 20 years here, but when I got a quote from British Gas, they sent a (crap) salesman around first. Then the contractor came around for a proper technical survey.

Comparing quotes with the others, British Gas had simply added their percentage and used a contractor. If I remember correctly, BG's quote was 25% or so more than the others. I chose another company, and they did last long enough to do some work under warranty.

OTOH, when I later wanted a gas wall heater for my home office, British Gas were doing a free fitting offer, so beat everyone else easily (there was a very thick wall to knock through).

As it happened, I knew the contractor they sent (we used to share the same local) and he was good at his job, so when it came to moving the oven, I used him. Cash job, of course, and he bought me a couple of beers out of it too.
        Last edited by Sysman; 3 August 2007, 06:03.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
          - Get recommendations from friends, neighbours, other landlords, whoever - for properly qualified plumbers. Some claim to be registered and aren't but you can easily check with Corgi. If you're renting then you get seriously done by not following the law on gas fitting.
          Amazing as this sounds, nobody seems to be able to recommend a real Corgi plumber with a demonstratable track record, although most people have a "mate who does a bit of plumbing on the side". I'm seriously tearing my hear out wondering why it has to be so difficult - which has brought about the "geezer" vs British Gas predicament in the first place.

Comment

It all comes down to accountability if something goes wrong.

What is better in front of a judge?

"I paid Wayne the unemployed odd job man down the road to install the Gas Boiler"

"I paid British Gas and here are the Corgi certs proving it was fitted by a competent and qualified gas engineer"

No brainer.

Comment

Amazing as this sounds, nobody seems to be able to recommend a real Corgi plumber with a demonstratable track record, although most people have a "mate who does a bit of plumbing on the side". I'm seriously tearing my hear out wondering why it has to be so difficult - which has brought about the "geezer" vs British Gas predicament in the first place.
              Post on the Screwfix.com forums for a Corgi registered plumber in your area to quote for the job. Ask to see their registration, insurance, and contact details for work undertaken for their other customers.

Do this x 3. Then pick the one you're happiest with.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut
                Post on the Screwfix.com forums for a Corgi registered plumber in your area to quote for the job. Ask to see their registration, insurance, and contact details for work undertaken for their other customers.
                Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question - but presumably I should post on the Plumbers' Talk forum?

Comment

Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question - but presumably I should post on the Plumbers' Talk forum?
                  That's where I would.

It may be best to browse/search the forum for similar questions and do a few posts before actually asking for someone to quote. No-one will give you a reply with a vested interest then and you might be able to separate the wheat from the chaff posters.

Comment

I'd start here

http://www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk/
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                      Blimey - apparently the nearest approved plumber to here is 70 miles away in Nottingham!

Comment

Working...
                      X