• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terrorist attack - could this happen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richard-af
    I thought the general consensus of opinion was that Bin Beardie had knocked his pipe out about a year ago.
    Jacques Chirac said so, but I don't know if it's general opinion....
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
      He is not al qua'eda. To say he is is like saying that Eamon Holmes is the Manchester United fan.
      Bit of a difference! Eamon doesn't have a beard, for a start.

Comment

Bit of a difference! Eamon doesn't have a beard, for a start.
        Hmm, that's true. Eamon isn't as well liked either!

Comment

But does Al Qaeda even exist? Wasn't it a term that was dreamt up by the neo cons to give the septics a 'face' to fight? The idea that we're up against some sort of Blofeld figure with vast resources is laughable.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            Hmm, that's true. Eamon isn't as well liked either!
            Is Eamonn actually Bin Beardie? A few moment's reflection on the matter has led me believe that he is.

Resigned from a cushy number like GMTV to do "other stuff"? Come on! Eamonn was replaced by a surgically altered Bin Beardie, who then had to spend a few months scoffing pies to get the weight right.

The hair! They got the hair wrong. Noticed that "Eamonn's" hair is now a strange Davina McCall reddish shade. Never used to be. They always make a little, basic error, don't they? Well Mr. Bin Holmes, we've seen through your masquerade!

Comment

Well Mr. Bin Holmes, we've seen through your masquerade!
              I think you've hit on something there...

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                But does Al Qaeda even exist? Wasn't it a term that was dreamt up by the neo cons to give the septics a 'face' to fight? The idea that we're up against some sort of Blofeld figure with vast resources is laughable.
                This is what I was trying to say. The term was quoted by Bin Laden or some such but, IIRC, simply means "the struggle".

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                  If i remember it means "The Directory" and was a name given to a directory of islamic terrorists compiled by the FBI. If somebody is in Al Qaeda it means that they are on the FBI's list of islamic terrorists.

There can be no head of Al Qaeda because it is just a list of dodgy people, some of whom may have been in contact with each other and the majority of which have probably never even heard of each other. It's a bit like compiling a list of prisoners in UK jails and calling it "The Firm" and then making out that "The Firm" are a big group of criminals that are waging a war of crime against us....

All total fantasy, but it gave the American public a tangible enemy to fight against, and without that there could have been no "War on terror".....

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                    If i remember it means "The Directory" and was a name given to a directory of islamic terrorists compiled by the FBI. If somebody is in Al Qaeda it means that they are on the FBI's list of islamic terrorists.

There can be no head of Al Qaeda because it is just a list of dodgy people, some of whom may have been in contact with each other and the majority of which have probably never even heard of each other. It's a bit like compiling a list of prisoners in UK jails and calling it "The Firm" and then making out that "The Firm" are a big group of criminals that are waging a war of crime against us....

All total fantasy, but it gave the American public a tangible enemy to fight against, and without that there could have been no "War on terror".....
                    I agree. If these people were so sophisticated, surely they could do something better than driving a jeep into an airport terminal, remarkably unsuccessful. If me and six of my mates put our heads together I'm sure we could come up with a more devastating attack.

To me this show's these minority fanatics are desperate and have no real support or structure in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                      It means "the base". It refers to the creation of a base for jihad. Afghanistan is currently the base, in one sense (and that is the Taliban's raison d'etre). In another sense, it is the organisation, or more correctly association, that bin Laden put together to manage jihad.

It is a loose association, not out of loose thinking but in order to make it resilient: there is no head or central organisation whose removal can kill the beast. So it is true that bin Laden himself is perhaps no longer necessary; certainly it was planned that way. But that doesn't mean that al Qaeda is only a way of thinking: it is a real organisation.
                      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Working...
                      X