• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zurich

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunnysan
    It appears although expensive, cost of living is slightly less than London and I imagine the quality of life is better if you are looking for space and peace and quiet.

Francko, since it appears that you live there could you comment on that
    Yes, I'd say it's cheaper. Mainly for accomodation since you can get something quite decent (like a 2-3 bedroom flat) for a thousand pounds while in London you'd be able to get a studio flat only. Transport is also cheaper and about half the costs or a third than what is in London. Most other expenses are pretty much the same with some even more (food, though the quality is higher). I'd say that if you are young and pretty much into going out, you'd better stay in London as you have more choice. As you said if you are older and you want some quietness than it's a better place to be as it looks much safer and quiet. Flats are also bigger than in London. However, finding a flat is extremely difficult as the locals are strongly preferred so you have to consider a short term accomodation for six months and perhaps even more, unless you are willing to go into less desirable areas (which are still 10 times more safe and green than the ones in London).
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
      Not really. You get the C permit, but you might lose it if you go away for longer than 3-6 months. So the only way to have a guaranteed permit to stay in Switzerland is to be born there.

Rates aren't as good as in London. 100 CHF an hour sounds quite common these days. Rather hard to get something more and do not expect too much more in any case.
      Not correct either as Switzerland is not a country which recognises 'jus soli'. Hence a swiss born friend of mine some years ago (he was 25 at the time) still having only a UK passport.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
        Not correct either as Switzerland is not a country which recognises 'jus soli'. Hence a swiss born friend of mine some years ago (he was 25 at the time) still having only a UK passport.
        Correct. I meant indeed born and raised in Switzerland, I told Sunny in a private message that the child will not automatically get the citizenship.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
          Correct. I meant indeed born and raised in Switzerland, I told Sunny in a private message that the child will not automatically get the citizenship.
          Indeed, even if you are born and raised there, it is no guarantee. Hence my friend living there until his twenties and still unsure if he would receive swiss nationality.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
            Indeed, even if you are born and raised there, it is no guarantee. Hence my friend living there until his twenties and still unsure if he would receive swiss nationality.
            To my knowledge the ultimate decision is up to the canton. That I believe is an utterly unfair system as potentially you might never be swiss even though you were born there and lived there all your life. On the other hand perhaps someone who never lived there but with a swiss grand-grand-parent may have more rights to get it.

However, I guess your friend did not try too hard either, did he?

Comment

Working...
            X