• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another example of the nimbys stopping business growth and jobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes you do you're just in denial !

Milan.

Comment

Ok, so I live near-ish to Manchester airport - there are quite a few prime places it could expand into (Wythenshawe?) - however, I do believe that places such as Leeds/Bradford airport and Liverpool airport should be given the chance to grow. Airlines such as EasyJet and Ryanair are virtually blocked out of Manchester due to dodgy airline tricks with gates and the high charges too. Mega-airports like Heathrow become unwieldly (spelling? sorry) and are also single points of failure - if there's a bomb scare at Heathrow, loads of flights grind to a halt. Decentralisation of air travel is important, and it might even reduce this 'captive shopping centre' approach of most modern airports: make you check in 2 hours before the flight, so you're obliged to wander round overpriced shops and probably end up buying something, when all you want to do is get to the effin destination.

NIMBYism is never a good excuse - even for nuclear power stations.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba
        NIMBYism is never a good excuse - even for nuclear power stations.
        It is if it's in your back yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
          It is if it's in your back yard.
          If you've got a back yard that big, you can afford to move.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba
            If you've got a back yard that big, you can afford to move.
            I wonder if anyone ever accepts the nimbyism argument when the development in question actually is in their back yard (not literally in their back yard):

'Well, I wouldn't really want a rubbish incinerator next dooe, what with the effect on my house price and the traffic and the smell and the kids' health, but I wouldn't want to be a nimby about it so go ahead.'

Comment

Old Boy,

let's see what everything thinks cometh the house price crash and no jobs to see people through the recession

having said that, fingers crossed there will not be a recession and Gordon the chosen one will continue to massage his economic miracle and long may the economic stability that so many have enjoyed for so long continue

Milan.

Comment

Working...
              X