• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracts in the City seem to be few and far between at the moment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yellow
    I was going to post this as a separate thread, I'm an experienced C# developer - plenty of roles outside the City in London, which is fine at the mo, but obviously rates are higher in the city, getting these contracts seems to be a Catch 22 situation regarding financial experience; experience is required (derivatives for example) - but how do you get that experience in the first place?!
    If it were easy to get, it wouldn't pay more. Sorry.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

The week before last I had 2 interviews and 2 offers after being back from holiday for 2 days

Both in the city, one for a large bank using VB6 (yes VB6 ) and I have no previous banking experience, and one for a smaller company using .Net C#, SQL 2005 etc

I found the market to be slower than usual but still lots about.

The funny thing was both offers came from the same agency (which i didnt realise at the time), I accepted the smaller firm because it was more interesting and wasnt using legacy technology, then the bank upped their offer another £75 a day , So I did a U-Turn and accepted their offer.

tulip hit the fan at the agency because I was under offer from one consultant and another one came in and tried to steal me. So the directors made the second one withdraw the offer so in the end it worked out ok (except I was on a lower rate which I'm not to fussed about)
      Last edited by dotnetter; 9 July 2007, 14:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
        If it were easy to get, it wouldn't pay more. Sorry.
        Absolutely Euro-commuter, that wasn't the question though and why are you apologising?

The question was "How do you get that experience in the first place?"

Maybe an answer might of been for example (I'm just making these up)

- Previous experience in the financial sector in another (possibly non-IT) role before becoming a developer.
        - Getting yer foot in the door is what not what you know, but who you know.
        - Taking a pay cut outside of the City and trying to get any gig elsewhere which would provide relevant experience.
        - Relevant qualifications that could marry a computer science and finance skills.

Comment

Absolutely Euro-commuter, that wasn't the question though and why are you apologising?

- Previous experience in the financial sector in another (possibly non-IT) role before becoming a developer.
          - Taking a pay cut outside of the City and trying to get any gig elsewhere which would provide relevant experience.
          - Relevant qualifications that could marry a computer science and finance skills.
          You appear to have answered your own question quite well, yellow.

The 'General' forum is the busiest, but not the best place for serious replies (see my earlier post in this thread...).

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

As Xenophon said, you have answered your own question quite well, a question which has been asked and answered countless times on these forums already. you forgot "get a perm position in the industry for a couple of years and then go contracting" tho.
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

[QUOTE=yellow]I was going to post this as a separate thread

Sorry yellow, suffering for a bit of demob fever at the moment
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
              X