• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And It Was All Going So Well...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Epiphone
    Applied for a gig and it turned out to be a client I'd been at a couple of years ago (they don't 'do' direct so EB must be involved). They'd love me to go back etc etc so all pimp has to do is get a good IR35 contract out and pay.

And then this drops into Outlook

I've got a letter from the Director (me) saying right to work, done all checks, indemnify you as an EB etc etc but am struggling for a nice polite way to tell em to feck right off on point 4. 2 and 3 are find but references for past 2 years? They're 'aving a larf!
    I had to provide referees for past 5 years for the IB I'm working for & my g/f had to same for a different IB.

Comment

Cp?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Heh heh, contract arrived this morning in an email. Names me personally all over it. Also another request for a passport. The references thing seems to have worked though

Sigh, seems B&C will have some reading to do. It's only a fall back contract anyway if another one doesn't come off.
        I worked for a major company in Edinburgh from Sept to Nov 2005 and from Nov 2005 didn't have another contract.
        The agency phoned me up Early April this year and asked if I would like to go back and asked for references from my time of working for this company. I gave them a couple of names and they came back a few days later saying that they definitely wanted me back and I didn't even need to attaned an interview.
        I just told the agency that I had not been working since the end of the last contract and everything was fine.
        Not a good daily rate though but hey, better than getting nothing from the DSS!
        It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
          I had to provide referees for past 5 years for the IB I'm working for & my g/f had to same for a different IB.
          From what I gather it's different for a bank. Could be wrong though. I'm the kiss of death on contracts. EVERY team I've worked on has been disbanded afterwards, the company has gone under or lost the outsourcing contract etc. {Insert Death smily here}

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaqqer
            Cp?
            Rymes with Dorien

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe
              Not a good daily rate though but hey, better than getting nothing from the DSS!
              As is this gig. 15 mins drive from home but the one I'm hanging out for is 10 mins walk and 30 a day more.

Comment

Are you opted in or out?
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Quick update.

Contract fails IR35 and the agency don't understand IR35 at all. Went to the client for one day as "goodwill" then because the agency refused to change the contract - and helpfully made it worse by adding that there is MOO and I would be directly under the control andsupervision of the client - told them I wouldn't be going back.

Got a call from someone higher up in the agency who still didn't understand IR35 and accused me of tax evasion.

Comment

Quick update.

Contract fails IR35 and the agency don't understand IR35 at all. Went to the client for one day as "goodwill" then because the agency refused to change the contract - and helpfully made it worse by adding that there is MOO and I would be directly under the control andsupervision of the client - told them I wouldn't be going back.

Got a call from someone higher up in the agency who still didn't understand IR35 and accused me of tax evasion.
                    They haven't worked out the difference between evasion and avoidance. How can a pimp not know about IR35. I know they're not the brightest but really.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
                      They haven't worked out the difference between evasion and avoidance. How can a pimp not know about IR35. I know they're not the brightest but really.
                      Simply because they view us as temps and the B2B relationship scares or confuses them - or both!

Pimp did offer to make a few small changes but got huffy when pointed out that the agreement between agency and client would have to reflect said changes.

Oh, they also told me no reputable agency or client would deal with me:

If this is how you operate then good luck in securing an alternative contract as with the new MSC and transfer of debt regulations, reputable end clients and agencies are ever more vigilant and will not knowingly engage in a way which would be in any way non compliant or risky.

Comment

Working...
                      X