• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And The Point of Live Earth Was?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wobbegong
    Erosion, deposition, climate change, environmental change, species extinction, ice sheet increase and decrease, have all been going on for countless millions of years
    Yeah, but we weren't here at the time to be affected by it. This time we are.

Comment

Originally posted by chubba
      I liked the comment Ricky Gervais made when asked by Jonathan Ross "Do you think Live Earth will help the cause?" Ricky replied "I expect Live Earth will solve global warming the same way that Live Aid solved world hunger."

I laughed at that one... but his comment was "He liked how ebone and ivory song solved racism..."

Comment

Originally posted by dang65
        They should've just said, "The climate is changing, and it's changing very quickly. Also, the oil is running out.
        So, as the oil runs out we'll create less CO2 and the climate will return to normal.

Phew! That's a relief!

Comment

Yeah, but we weren't here at the time to be affected by it. This time we are.
          The key word there is 'affected'. Of course we're affected by it, but it doesn't mean we've caused it all (granted, we have contributed to some problems).

We, in "the west" wear the continuous millstone of global responsibility, and seem to think we are the worlds saviour, that we can (and more importantly, should) cure everything from geo-political issues, starvation in Africa, Flooding in the third world, melting of the polar ice sheet.
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

"They" will think of something.

What about Japan's algae plan?

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong
              Of course we're affected by it, but it doesn't mean we've caused it all.
              Why do people feel that it's so important to establish that it's not our fault? Why does that matter when we're in such imminent danger? You didn't get people in the war saying, "Yes, I'll fight the Germans, but I just want everyone to know that it wasn't my fault they started the war. I'm not going to fire a shot till I've got that in writing."

Whether climate change is being caused by human activity or nature or a combination of the two is pretty much irrelevant FFS. It's happening and it's going to have an enormous impact on our way of life, to put it mildly.

Comment

Whether climate change is being caused by human activity or nature or a combination of the two is pretty much irrelevant FFS. It's happening and it's going to have an enormous impact on our way of life, to put it mildly.

I know, it will mean that I can holiday in the UK knowing that I will get some decent weather, also my investment in buy to let on Baffin Island will pay off
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                  What would be the trigger event to make you modify your behaviour?
                  In the army, we were taught that when attacking an enemy position, we would be terrified by the incoming sh!t so much that we would want to give up and hide. Even if the incoming fire was nowhere near as dangerous as it seemed, or it was directed at someone else. We were taught that the way to recognise a real danger was when we took a casualty. Keep going untill you take a hit

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Why do people feel that it's so important to establish that it's not our fault? Why does that matter when we're in such imminent danger?
                    Because we're constantly made to feel that the worlds' ills ARE all our fault?

You didn't get people in the war saying, "Yes, I'll fight the Germans, but I just want everyone to know that it wasn't my fault they started the war. I'm not going to fire a shot till I've got that in writing."
                    That would be something to do with "conscription", I think.

Agreed, so maybe we need to put more effort into adapting to our contantly changing world, rather than bemoaning the fact that it's changing?
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                      So, as the oil runs out we'll create less CO2 and the climate will return to normal.

Phew! That's a relief!
                      I was talking to an oil trader friend of mine whilst at a wedding in south west France over the weekend and when the majority of my friends started taking the pi55 out of him for destroying the planet by driving his new Range Rover all the way down there he said that oil will never run out, he reckons that it will just get more and more expensive to the point that we will all have to find alternative means unless you are very rich, Isn't that exactly what is happening anyway? We are all paying more year on year for fuel and therefore being financially pressured into driving more economical cars (unless you’re a RR driving city slicker!), looking around the car park he had already proved his point judging by the amount of small diesel cars most people had used parked next to his gas guzzler… so what is the fuss about?
                      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X