• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK & USA sign defence treaty...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chicane
    if there's little or nothing you can do, what's the point in worrying about it?
    But you can do a fair few things - for starters not to live i London: it will certainly be #1 target. Frankly probably best not to live in Birmingham, and to be honest the safest strategy is not to live at all. Now you know why I got no life

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Best thing would have been to buy one of they "redundant" (ha!) nuclear bunker thingies...
      Actually looked into buying one of them, it had a rather nice set of houses up top and loads of land with good communications, I digress, in the contract it says the government can take it back anytime they want.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        and to be honest the safest strategy is not to live at all. Now you know why I got no life

clever....c-l-e-v-e-r

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          Actually looked into buying one of them, it had a rather nice set of houses up top and loads of land with good communications
          There will be lots of those after dirty bomb gets exploded - no congestion on road as well

Comment

Haven't dirty bombs been debunked by now as impractical and of limited effect? I think your apocalyptic view of the future is a bit theatrical.
            All that is necessary for evil members to succeed is that good members post nothing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              Frankly probably best not to live in Birmingham
              That gets my vote.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan
                Haven't dirty bombs been debunked by now as impractical and of limited effect? I think your apocalyptic view of the future is a bit theatrical.
                We might laugh at 1000 years, but even one year is bad enough. How do you clean up all radioactive dust sprayed through the air over a square mile or so, when a single small particle of plutonium can be enough to provide someone with cancer? Who would want to go there?
                Originally posted by scooterscot
                What do you think the result would be if a nuclear event actually occurred in central London? Those and the homeland responsible would be turned to a lump of glass in 24 hours... That's why we've got them as a deterrent and my goodness if those treehuggers got their way we'd be shot of them and back to throwing stones
                You are confusing Al Qua'eda and their like with a sovereign nation. A dirty (and especially a nuclear) bomb is exactly the sort of spectacular that would attract these groups. You cannot simply bomb Iraq or Saudi in response. Suppose the bombers themselves come from Leeds? Why do you think we didn't bomb Dublin or Belfast each time the IRA let off a bomb?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                  We might laugh at 1000 years, but even one year is bad enough. How do you clean up all radioactive dust sprayed through the air over a square mile or so, when a single small particle of plutonium can be enough to provide someone with cancer? Who would want to go there?You are confusing Al Qua'eda and their like with a sovereign nation. A dirty (and especially a nuclear) bomb is exactly the sort of spectacular that would attract these groups. You cannot simply bomb Iraq or Saudi in response. Suppose the bombers themselves come from Leeds? Why do you think we didn't bomb Dublin or Belfast each time the IRA let off a bomb?
                  My retort was more emotion than sense designed only to equal the question in which it was responding too. Of course I don’t believe my suggestion would be a likely outcome although at the same time I could neither compare the IRA with a fundamentalist Islamic group either. At least with the IRA you got a phone call and 6 – 10 minutes before a major incident. Those fundamentalists are cowards to the extreme they don’t deserve a gentle 10, 20, 30 year program to weed them out from their safe houses and put on trial.

The war our government is trying to wage can only be won if every last fundamentalist has forced departure from this earth asap, that’s surly an impossible task for any group especially as one as large as our lustrous leader reins, no this war can only be solved at the individual level and that will take decades.
                  Last edited by scooterscot; 22 June 2007, 23:45.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
                    My retort was more emotion than sense designed only to equal the question in which it was responding too. Of course I don’t believe my suggestion would be a likely outcome
                    Fair enough, we do a lot of that on here
                    although at the same time I could neither compare the IRA with a fundamentalist Islamic group either. At least with the IRA you got a phone call and 6 – 10 minutes before a major incident.
                    I wasn't comparing how nasty they were. I was saying that you couldn't hold a whole nation responsible for the actions of al qua'eda any more than you could the IRA.

In fact, it could be said that Ireland was a more valid target for retaliatory bombing than anywhere to do with al qua'eda. The IRA were Irish (mostly Ulster), their cause was overtly a united Ireland, and furthermore, the Irish government went many years implicitly supporting them, by allowing them free rein of their border country and not directly criticising them.
                    The war our government is trying to wage can only be won if every last fundamentalist has forced departure from this earth asap, that’s surly an impossible task for any group especially as one as large as our lustrous leader reins, no this war can only be solved at the individual level and that will take decades.
                    True, but IMHO it will never be resolved.

The world is getting more crowded, which will increase fighting over land, hearts and minds. Technology is improving and becoming more accessible to terrorists. A cataclysmic event like a nuclear bomb might focus minds and quieten it down for a few years, but not forever.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100

The world is getting more crowded, which will increase fighting over land, hearts and minds. Technology is improving and becoming more accessible to terrorists. A cataclysmic event like a nuclear bomb might focus minds and quieten it down for a few years, but not forever.
                      If the picture you paint were to become the absolute truth, then what is to become of us? Will resolve not give way to reason before complete distruction of what?? I’ve never been a big believer of countries; having travelled the globe time and time again over the last decade, it is a truth about me that only gains more foundation with each new person I meet , the values that stand true to who we are do not care for boarders or lines on map. It is a truth that gives me strength and warmth no matter the negative situation I should find myself in, how it crushes me when I see those in power defy that truth when they themselves are not immune. What will it take for that realisation to be made? Like you said technology has give those that do not understand the opportunity to attack us with greater precision, perhaps we are to blame perhaps we’ve still to reap what we’ve sown.

I fear there is very little we can do now, like animals in the wild we can both prey and be hunted what a sad prospect for such an intelligent being.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X