• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brown's bloody tax system

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Master
    It is a well known fact that the tax system was designed by the Cult of Skaro to ensure that come the invasion everyone will be too busy sitting around filling in tax credit forms to put up much resistance.
    Fooled you then! As a law-abiding person who pays taxes I have never qualified for benefits, so I do not bother to fill in the forms; thereby leaving me plenty of time to resist!

Comment

these tax credits are amazing ,
      read in a newspaper about a couple who were claiming child tax credit
      for 16 kids , but they only had one.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
        You forgot the 'and got caught'. Plenty of others around the world made a mint out of it, and will never be caught.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
          Well, we know the answer to that, don't we, with so many incorrect and fecked-up returns...
          If Ive said it once, Ive said it a hundred times already. This country needs a flat tax system (and not the sh1t you have now where you get two taxes lumped on top of each other!) and then do away with every other form of tax deduction/return/benefit!

Then again who are we kidding? There is an entire industry within the government who rely on the tax system being as complicated as possible because if it was simple the main reason for the tax people being required would disappear.

Mailman

Comment

I was reading this on the tube the other day:

THE Government's tax and benefits strategy to tackle child poverty "brutally discriminates" against two-parent families, a report claimed today.

The study by Labour MP Frank Field said the Government will miss its target of halving child poverty by 2010/2011.

And, it claims, the risk of poverty has barely changed for children in two-parent families.

Half of all poor children are in working families despite attempts to help people work their way out of poverty, and the number of children in poor working households is at the same level as in 1995, it adds.

According to the report co-written by Ben Cackett for think-tank Reform, a single parent working 16 hours a week gains - after tax credits - a total income of £487.
            But, it adds because the tax credits system does not make allowance for a second adult, a two-parent family earning the minimum wage would have to work 116 hours a week to gain the same income.

The study also said that in 2004-05, two parents with two children had to earn £240 a week to lift themselves above the poverty line, while a single parent with two children had to earn just £76.

The authors of the Welfare Isn't Working: Child Poverty want a new Government strategy but campaigners denied there was discrimination in favour of single parents.

Love the last sentence...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore

The study by Labour MP Frank Field said the Government will miss its target of halving child poverty by 2010/2011.

[/I]
              Frank Field is one of the few decent politicians around these days. Usually tells it like it is. Came up with some sound proposals for pension reform which Gordon hated. And what was Gordon Browns immediate response - gave Frank Field a P45

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                I have been trying to pay back over paymets for over a year now.

Code:
                10 I get a letter from them telling me off for not paying the money back
                20 I contact them and ask for a DD form to pay them back
                30 They either send me a form and I return it and nothing happens or they don't send me a form
                40 GOTO 10
                Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by Hart-floot
                  Frank Field is one of the few decent politicians around these days. Usually tells it like it is. Came up with some sound proposals for pension reform which Gordon hated. And what was Gordon Browns immediate response - gave Frank Field a P45
                  Frank Field came up with a proposal that (a) was practical, (b) considered the needs of the population rather than those of politicians, and (c) he believed in. He had to go on all three counts.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                    I've just finished my tax credit return, with its 100 pages of user instructions. Business analysts would have trouble with that lot, so what chance the local chav even reading it!

Well, we know the answer to that, don't we, with so many incorrect and fecked-up returns, leaving the national coffers a net £2 billion short. And the Treasury w@nkers have the front to blame people for not filling in the forms accurately.

Welcome to Gordon Brown's world. Unsimple.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.
                    That is the whole point is n't it. Make it so complicated that the only people who can fill the form would not qualify, thereby allowing GB to claim to have brought gazillions out of poverty without actually having to pay anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X