• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Summer holiday (with kids)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rootsnall
    The Lakes, Kylie is next door but one.
    Do you get a reduction in site fees for being stuck in your static next to whiney Aussies?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

We bought a place in Spain about 5 years ago so we could take the summer holidays there and rent the place out of the rest of the year. It has worked really well (financially and personally). This year it has cost us just under £600 for 4 flights going end of July and coming back in August. And our place has an internet connection so I can take my lap top and work from there a few days a week too during the summer holidays (sitting next to the pool!)...... we tend to stay for 4 or 5 weeks. The rent from the other 11 months pays for the costs of the place and our spending money.

During the rest of the year we tend to take a one week Carrib holiday around January/February time. Usually costs us £2k for all 4 as its outside school time. Obviously as the kids get older we may decide not to do this anymore depending on forthcoming exams etc. We'll have to see but for now it's fine.

There was an article in the Evening Standard a few weeks ago where they were talking about changing the school holiday system. According to the report the current system only seems to benefit the teachers. The kids suffer with the current system as do the parents. Can't remember all the details now but you can probably guess the arguments. But they reckon that the teachers unions won't budge.

Comment

Where in Spain gives you 11 months rental - the Canaries?

Comment

Mojacar. And its long term rentals, not short term (usually anyway). We have had only two couples rent our villa for the last 3 years. And in both cases they vacated the property for the summer holidays to travel back to the UK to visit family. They were quite happy to do so because they said it was so hot!

http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/2129/villa2db9.jpg
          Last edited by oxtailsoup; 12 June 2007, 08:18.

Comment

I hear Portugal is good, lots of Restaurants near to you accomodations and there is even a "look after your kids" service that you can use without even asking for it. May take some time to get your kids back though..... But hey, more time for you to party it up in the bar!!!

Comment

Do what my parents did. Never go on holiday. Never did me any harm.

Comment

Caravan FFS - this is a contractor's website :-) I wan't expecting Sandy Lane suggestions but please.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                  Do you get a reduction in site fees for being stuck in your static next to whiney Aussies?
                  Kylie is OK, but she used to let Jason Donovan stay and he'd stay up late partying.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall
                    Kylie is OK, but she used to let Jason Donovan stay and he'd stay up late partying.
                    Are the rumours about Jason true?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                      Are the rumours about Jason true?
                      I couldn't say, caravan club etiquette I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
                      X