• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking to hire a couple of grads with no IT experience

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been done and taken to it's ultimate conclusion: weren't there some company in London where you'd pay to work for them and after 6 months they'd give a reference that you had 6 months Java or whatever it was.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Careers centre in the local uni.

And I don't think you can "sell them on". What will happen is they will leave of their own accord and get jobs elsewhere just as they're becoming useful.

If you need low-skill IT people and you don't mind having a high turnover of staff, then the advantage of this is that you can pay them peanuts. There are few other advantages, that I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip
        A little off topic. But I'm looking for ideas for places where I can find graduates who have a recent IT related degree but no IT experience. I employ them myself for a couple of months for a pittance, then sell them on to a company that is looking for people "with experience" thus making myself a good profit.

I have the client. But I now need the graduates.

Two ideas I have at the moment: The "MCSE boot camp" schools - they are always looking for employers so that they can claim to prospective students that they can get placements into jobs.

Secondly the notice board at the local Tescos. That's where unemployed graduates look.

We were all recent graduates once (well apart from some of you who were hired directly into Logica, McKinsey or a big bank, but I digress) so it is also nice to be able to give folk a bit of a leg up (not to mention a leg over if she is female).

Thanks
        a) Its not off topic if you start the thread.
        b) Put adverts in the paper/notices on the uni's in that area/trawl monster and stuff for grad CV's
        c) If you're stuck at this stage, I really dont think you should be trusted with these kids' futures!
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Much better idea.

Step 1

Open a ltd in the UK

Step 2

Open a tiny office in India. I bet you can do this on the Internet and the cost would be low.

Step 3

Apply for UK Intra Company Transfer visas for "staff" from your Indian office

Step 4

You can now send in Indian IT workers to your clients at almost zero cost. Rent one large building (student type digs) and stick them in there. Charge them out to clients at a high margin. Charge the Indians high rents to cover the costs.

Kerching and the UK Labour government will probably hail you a hero and give you a knighthood for tackling the "skills shortage in IT".

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
            a) Its not off topic if you start the thread.
            b) Put adverts in the paper/notices on the uni's in that area/trawl monster and stuff for grad CV's
            c) If you're stuck at this stage, I really dont think you should be trusted with these kids' futures!
            These kids will be fine! don't worry.

Clippy: I was only joking about support professionals being monkeys. Some of the better ones are nearly as good as chimpanzees, or even gorillas.

I'll hire these boys and girls for a couple of months before handing them over to the client for a fee. Although they might leave this is less likely as the client pays competative money, and they would have no financial reason to leave. I'll just feed them some propaganda about having to have a solid one year's experience on their CV's to count for their next job.

Comment

Sasguru: I could become a pimp I suppose. Trouble is I'd spend too much time sampling the merchandise, so they would never get out and work.
              I'm not sure you understand what sas is suggesting.

It is probably the best suggestion you'll get.

Comment

A little off topic. But I'm looking for ideas for places where I can find graduates who have a recent IT related degree but no IT experience. I employ them myself for a couple of months for a pittance, then sell them on to a company that is looking for people "with experience" thus making myself a good profit.

I have the client. But I now need the graduates.

Two ideas I have at the moment: The "MCSE boot camp" schools - they are always looking for employers so that they can claim to prospective students that they can get placements into jobs.

Secondly the notice board at the local Tescos. That's where unemployed graduates look.

We were all recent graduates once (well apart from some of you who were hired directly into Logica, McKinsey or a big bank, but I digress) so it is also nice to be able to give folk a bit of a leg up (not to mention a leg over if she is female).

Thanks

Reed graduate website
                milkround website
                prospects.ac.uk

As someone else mentioned, accenture, kpmg etc all have stalls at the universities, so hang around uni's where IT degress are done.

I did a sandwich course (2yrs uni, 1 year placement, final year uni) and the entire year (130 people in my course alone, around 600 people across all IT courses) needed a job for 9-12months. Most of these paid about £11-£16k and a lot of these people went back to the same employer when they graduated. SPeak to uni's about this.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                  I'm not sure you understand what sas is suggesting.

It is probably the best suggestion you'll get.
                  He is bit slow on the uptake.

Stick your DB's sonny.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
                    He is bit slow on the uptake.

Stick your DB's sonny.
                    No I understand that being a pimp means being an agent.

But why not be a real pimp, and sample that merchandise hehe :-)

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy
                      Reed graduate website
                      milkround website
                      prospects.ac.uk

As someone else mentioned, accenture, kpmg etc all have stalls at the universities, so hang around uni's where IT degress are done.

I did a sandwich course (2yrs uni, 1 year placement, final year uni) and the entire year (130 people in my course alone, around 600 people across all IT courses) needed a job for 9-12months. Most of these paid about £11-£16k and a lot of these people went back to the same employer when they graduated. SPeak to uni's about this.
                      Most Unis have changed their courses so that the placement is optional. Those that get a placement take the year out, those that don't, do a straight three year course.

My neice is currently still looking for her placement year (not it IT) and has now accepted that she isn't going to find one before she has to decide whether to start year 3 or not. I think that she is in a majority in not having a placement.

tim

Comment

Working...
                      X