• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pop!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    You weren't around in the 80s & 90s then...
    A totally different era. Wage inflation was also very high at the time.

Comment

Pop

Sorry, I thought this thread was about favourite fizzy beverages.

Dandelion and Burdock for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
        As soon as subsidised (as in rents are not covering mortgage repayments) buy to let becomes unaffordable prices will fall, it can't be far away.
        Surely the landlords will just put up rents to cover the shortfall?

Torygraph

It's all down to Demand > Supply:

1. Welfare and teenage reproduction rates
        2. Increased divorce rates
        3. Uncontrolled immigration
        4. Convoluted planning permission
        5. Media driven asset ownership
        Last edited by hyperD; 31 May 2007, 13:27.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
          Surely the landlords will just put up rents to cover the shortfall?

It's all down to Demand > Supply:

1. Welfare and teenage reproduction rates
          2. Increased divorce rates
          3. Uncontrolled immigration
          4. Convoluted planning permission
          5. Media driven asset ownership

I'm possitive there is a distortion in the market
          There are too many buy to lets competing for rental money for rents to rise significantly. Supply is outstretching demand in the lettings market.

The purchase market has the demand, due to expectations of free money, it's not a demand for housing for housings sake that is driving it, it's a demand to supply to the over supplied lettings market, not for lettings sake but for percieved free monies 'investment' sake.

So we have a market built on expectation of limitless rises with no consideration for yields. Unrealistic IMHO.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors said tenants are experiencing the biggest and most sustained increase in rents since it first started measuring them in 1998. It added that the recent increases were similar to those in the late 1980s that preceded Britain's last major housing crash.
            Pure coincidence, it's different this time.

Best buy those BTLs now while prices are still comparatively cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
              Pure coincidence, it's different this time.

Best buy those BTLs now while prices are still comparatively cheap.
              you buy them. You'll be contracting longer then the lease on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                I'm possitive there is a distortion in the market
                There are too many buy to lets competing for rental money for rents to rise significantly. Supply is outstretching demand in the lettings market.

The purchase market has the demand, due to expectations of free money, it's not a demand for housing for housings sake that is driving it, it's a demand to supply to the over supplied lettings market, not for lettings sake but for percieved free monies 'investment' sake.

So we have a market built on expectation of limitless rises with no consideration for yields. Unrealistic IMHO.
                I heard the other day that the demand for 1 bed flats is being upstaged by the demand for housing stock with greated number of rooms e.g. 3+ bedroom houses.

I know a mutual friend that moved from IT into BTL fulltime in Scotland and has a huge asset base. I didn't have a chance to talk to him in full but he was talking about yields dropping and cost of borrowing rising (and the usual problems of being a landlord). He also mentioned that he may pull out next year if things continue as they are.

I am hopefully in contact with him in the next month or so and I would love to find out the real story. He has a large housing portfolio and doing this fulltime (not just one or two properties).
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I've just taken 10K off the price of my house. Still no viewings in more than three months. I'm just now in the process of changing my agent.

But a look on the yahoo property web site shows my area dropping for prices on single detached houses, for quite some time.

my wife will cry. as it's her house and she hoped she would get about 20K more than what we're asking. No chance. its so over decorated I reckon I've to drop it another 5K just to get people in.

On the other side of the pond. My parents had a open viewing day on their house the first day it was on the market. And - sis booom bah - they sold it two days later for more than the asking price. And over there a deal is a deal.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

It's been great fun being a BTL landlord on the way up. I personally know I couldn't hack it very well on the way down especially if I was sat on a whole portfolio.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRightStuff
                      you buy them. You'll be contracting longer then the lease on them.
                      No, I insist, after you.

Comment

Working...
                      X