• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You're all going to hate me...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    I'm not sure what you mean here, Dodgy, that I "only" have stepchildren. That does mean that I have faced choices between my gratification and the children's needs. And as I said, I have always found it a no-brainer to give up any social life that I might have imagined having, rather than be cavalier with the children's supervision; even though they were "only" my wife's children, not mine in your way of thinking apparently.

Their genes weren't mine, but responsibility for their safety was. I tried to make the point here that I would have thought the McCanns would be more concerned than me, not less. Maybe not.

Yes, I have seen photos of Mrs McCann wandering around clutching a pink toy, and no, I can't get them out of my head. Does that really mean that I must shut up completely?

My comment was out of order and was made in order to prove my point, so I do apologise. I do think however that Mrs McCann has certainly shown her emotions as much as you would expect a mother in these circumstances to do so. As for Mr, I think he is dealing with it in a very "English" way, even though he is a scot.
    Last edited by DodgyAgent; 29 May 2007, 19:00.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
      My comment was out of order and was made in order to prove my point, so I do apologise. I do think however that Mrs McCann has certainly shown her emotions as much as you would expect a mother in these circumstances to do so. As for Mr, I think he is dealing with it in a very "English" way, even though he is a scot.
      I'm neither hurt nor offended (just disagreed and didn't understand), so apology more than enough. Nice to see that your shame doesn't stop you boosting the English and denigrating the Scots (with the Johnson-esque damning by the faint praise that he is acting in an "English" way!).
      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

I'm neither hurt nor offended (just disagreed and didn't understand), so apology more than enough. Nice to see that your shame doesn't stop you boosting the English and denigrating the Scots (with the Johnson-esque damning by the faint praise that he is acting in an "English" way!).

I was not boosting the English or denigrating the scots (much as I enjoy doing both), I was merely saying that his behaviour was very English, I was not saying it was good or bad or right or wrong.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
          What is interesting is that the two people on here who have subscribed to this view have no children of their own, and the one that partly subscribes to it only has stepchildren.

I am not quite sure how your mind works or how you come to the conclusion that there is a hidden agenda here, but it clearly suits you to do so. The question I ask you therefore is how should the parents be expected to behave under these circumstances? The face of the mother in the early days alone is a face that is an expression that is not put on by acting.

If you really bother to think about this objectively you would recognise that these parents have brought to bear everything they can onto finding their child. they have managed to remain on the TV headlines for nearly a month.
          They have done almost everything that they could do and will without doubt continue to do so, with great dignity.

Would you have preffered to see a little bit more of "me, me me" about their approach to all this. In my view finding the child has transcended any desire to make themselves into celebrities "whilst they are at it". Is this your probblem then? are they not turning this thing into a circus for you? Do you want another agenda to appear just because the story is a little too straightforward for you.. is it not entertaining enough for you?

As I say, go and have children yourself and then make an opinion otherwise just shut up.

I have two children so feel qualified to speak on this...

On the one hand I blame the parents (sorry, not going to beat around the bush)...leaving your kids while you go to a restaurant is just not on...under no circumstances. However, I'm sure I do things with my kids that other parents would frown at, so I'm in no position to judge these guys, and certainly no-one deserves to go through what they are going through.

I will however say that I can't help but agree with SA on the fact that I think this is all a bit strange...it just doesn't feel right. I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't.

If it turns out that the parents are not involved in anything sinister in any way, then we should all be full of admiration at the way they have conducted themselves...it would be quite incredible...I know I would have fallen apart.

However, there is something about the military style operation that has been launched...I'm just not convinced and I have a nagging doubt.

So SA...I'm with you on this and fair play to you for having the balls to say something that many of us are thinking.

I'm sure many will disagree but lets be clear, we all hope and pray that the little girl is ok.
          Property advisor for the people

Comment

I think that the parents are doing a superb job of keeping their child's picture in the paper day after day, because they really need someone that has seen her to speak up.

Once her picture stops appearing in the papers, then the chances of them seeing her again have to diminish rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by Vito
              I blame the parents (sorry, not going to beat around the bush)...leaving your kids while you go to a restaurant is just not on...under no circumstances.

Plus
              There is now a Maddie fund..and aren't there related scousers involved somewhere.... the two are a recipe for disaster
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

If the parents were working class the media would have been hung them out to dry by now.

Its always interesting to see how the press work - amazing this story has gone on so long. Did you know that 60,000 marched to "save the pound" - got not 1 column inch. get a guy up a crane for a ten mile traffic jam - its front page news.

Wonder how long before GB will decide a free press is not in the nations interest - and nationalize it.

Comment

This whole situation smells of something not right.

Foreign country, leaving children unattended?

What's all this tulipe about an audience with the Pope? FFS!
                  Last edited by Churchill; 30 May 2007, 08:12. Reason: Didn't realise that Dodgy had apologised and he doesn't need another bollocking.

Comment

I don't suppose anybody's interested, and I'm not even sure what I might mean, but I am struck by one thing (and so are all of my fellow-Scots from S Scotland that I have heard from): while the Scottish accents may all sound the same to others, they do not to a local, and McCann's is unexpected for a heart surgeon. No educated person that I know from Lanarkshire or Ayrshire talks like Gerry McCann. Probably a useless or even insulting observation, but one that uniformly strikes those who know the accent.
                    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

I don't suppose anybody's interested, and I'm not even sure what I might mean, but I am struck by one thing (and so are all of my fellow-Scots from S Scotland that I have heard from): while the Scottish accents may all sound the same to others, they do not to a local, and McCann's is unexpected for a heart surgeon. No educated person that I know from Lanarkshire or Ayrshire talks like Gerry McCann. Probably a useless or even insulting observation, but one that uniformly strikes those who know the accent.

Interesting observation but I think I must be missing the point of it?
                      Property advisor for the people

Comment

Working...
                      X