• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why would you think that...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    ...people think that outsourcing our jobs to India would be a good idea.
    They obviously haven't seen what happens at traffic lights in India.

Comment

Traffic lights? On a uni course?

Talk about dumbing down - we had to do that at A-Level.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        The funniest one I've heard was about this guy who gave in some work.

As standard practice, lecturer googles on it & up comes a Wikipaedia entry.

Turned out the guy had written the wiki page himself... and it was, apparently, all good stuff.
        I wonder how Niall is doing these days...

DeludedProgrammer.com

Yup, he's still at University...

Comment

Ahh, the old traffic lights project - are you doing the lift one as well?

The great thing about those projects done at college/whatever is that it really showed how good/bad your fellow students were.

At work, you can normally muddle through, hide general incompetence, etc. Only under those conditions does the fact that only a handful of a class of ~100 could really program appear.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
            I wonder how Niall is doing these days...

DeludedProgrammer.com

Yup, he's still at University...
            God, what a boring lot of bollocks that is!

Comment

crikey,

give them a break, what's up with a little copying at Uni ?

shows initiative, if every research lab behaved with the morals of you lot there would be no new technology, or certainly advances in technology by competing companies in different sectors would not be as fast as it is today

these people should be appluaded for using their initiative, showing that they are team players and able to think outside the box when trying to solve a problem with a deadline which is business critical

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                crikey,

give them a break, what's up with a little copying at Uni ?

shows initiative, if every research lab behaved with the morals of you lot there would be no new technology, or certainly advances in technology by competing companies in different sectors would not be as fast as it is today

these people should be appluaded for using their initiative, showing that they are team players and able to think outside the box when trying to solve a problem with a deadline which is business critical

Milan.
                Ah, the thin line between plagiarism and research...

Comment

we have all heard stories about companies buying competitor's products and stripping them down in the labs to see how they work

and this doesn't only apply to IT, it is same for the motor industry, the bio-tech industry etc

Zeitghost should be positively encouraging these skills and techniquices, the ones who show initiative at Uni are the ones who will loead industry and create opportunities to keep the others who wouldn't copy in work for the rest of their lives

to conclude, you lot on your moral horses should be thanking people like this for creating the opportunity for you to work

Milan.

Comment

we have all heard stories about companies buying competitor's products and stripping them down in the labs to see how they work

and this doesn't only apply to IT, it is same for the motor industry, the bio-tech industry etc.
                    That is merely the equivalent of reading related literature.

These companies don't then build the competitor's products and sell them as their own. Unless they have a licence of course, which would blow your metaphor out of the water.

Comment

and this doesn't only apply to IT, it is same for the motor industry, the bio-tech industry etc
                      Didn't Fords do that to one of British Motor Corporations offerings? Fords were wondering how they could build it so cheaply, they eventually worked out that it was actually costing £100 more than they were selling each car for .
                      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X