• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well, It Seemed Like A Good Idea at the Time!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wobbegong
    Glad to hear it!

That business with the element wrapped in oily rags is a bit sinister, and "more than once" too!! How on earth did you find it, or do you just rip all the floor boards up as a matter of course?
    You've got to check under the floorboards to see if anyone's left their savings behind...

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong
      Glad to hear it!

That business with the element wrapped in oily rags is a bit sinister, and "more than once" too!! How on earth did you find it, or do you just rip all the floor boards up as a matter of course?
      You look out for the disk on the meter starting to spin when you switch the power on, then you go looking for disturbed floor boards...

Do a similar thing with the gas: but you use a thermometer as the meter is too slow to react to, and then look for holes drilled in the pipes.

Central heating: holes drilled, valves removed.

And then there are the previous occupants revisiting the property...
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
        You look out for the disk on the meter starting to spin when you switch the power on, then you go looking for disturbed floor boards...

Do a similar thing with the gas: but you use a thermometer as the meter is too slow to react to, and then look for holes drilled in the pipes.

Central heating: holes drilled, valves removed.

Bloody hell, what a bunch of scumbags! I had no idea people did this sort of thing. It sounds like mine-detecting.
        The vegetarian option.

Comment

Scorched earth policy. I like it.

Comment

...with a bunch of flowers and bottle of wine for the new tenants...bless!

Comment

I have a good few houses I rent out, buy them at auction and tend to do the 'make habitable' work on them myself. Now when houses have been repo'ed they don't tend to be much kop, and blocked drains is a usual, but I've found the elements from an electric cooker wrapped in oily rags under the floor boards waiting for the 'lectric to be switched back on more than once. And people wonder why repo'ed houses go so cheap...

Against my better judgment I got talked into renting that one out to the battered wives by my vicar, IIRC, well meaning chap, but not quite of this world if you know what I mean.

So I get quite enough fibre thank you very much.
              Surely you should just insure well, switch on power, collect insurance & then
              build a new house on your newly vacant plot
              Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Originally posted by hattra
                Surely you should just insure well, switch on power, collect insurance & then
                build a new house on your newly vacant plot
                Some do that, buy a new kitchen, carpets, don't even bother to unpack it, well, they have all the receipts at any rate, flick the switch. Allegedly.

You have to have friends in the fire-brigade. I've heard tell of a cigarette butt smoldering for 2 weeks on a mattress...

Comment

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

...Ramnaresh Sarwan putting England in to bat.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
                    And when my missus insisted that I should have taken her advice in the first place, my response? "Well, It Seemed Like A Good Idea at the Time". She wasn't impressed.

Anyone else have a story to tell?
                    Have you tried:

"Threaded suggested that in the forum"
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      P.S. Do remember that more than one seat of fire makes them a tad suspicious.
                      Not in Doncaster. Allegedly.

Comment

Working...
                      X