• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finishing off cat5 cables

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am old fashioned I think I would rather buy the crimping kit and do the job properly, I'll search for a crimping kit and rj45's and a network tester

thanks,

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
      I am old fashioned I think I would rather buy the crimping kit and do the job properly, I'll search for a crimping kit and rj45's and a network tester

thanks,

Milan.
      That is doing the job properly. That is the proper tool and the proper connectors.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

oh ok, show's what I know

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
          oh ok, show's what I know

Milan.
          I am not being patronising Beans, just trying to help.
          It realy is easy. Make sure you push the wires all the way in though.
          Dont get confused with the paired wires. They are colour coded in pairs and those pairs are twisted together. It is best to keep them that way until you are actualy going to terminate them.
          You shouldnt get mixed up, but green with white stripes can look similar to white with green stripes. Just be careful.
          I find a pair of long nosed pliers come in handy to manipulat ethe wires into place before insertion.
          Also make a loop of the cable round your hand before cutting to length. This will easily sit in the wall box and allows for any error requiring re-cutting.
          DONT HOLD THE TOOL THE WRONG WAY ROUND.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

LoneGunMan,

my apologies, I was not at all being sarcastic it was more like talking to myself, I much appreciate your feedback and that of the others here.

I am looking forward to the 'project' of getting this house connected, it is a subject I know nothing about and will be an interesting learning experience.

A friend described the plan as the equivalent to previous generations having trainsets in the attic.

Milan in 'not being flippant - for once' mode.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              BTW Wirless slows your network down. Why have high speed ADSL and then put it through a slow wireless net.
              Only if you have a slow-ass router or a kick-ass connection.

My (cable) connection is currently 8Mbps, my 802.11g router is capable of 54Mbps.

Why is the wireless router slowing the internet?

Admittedly it does slow computer to computer connections through the house, but I'm rarely bothered by that.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

It is fairly straight forward to terminate them but I would suggest getting a bag of 50 RJ45 connectors and a piece of cat5 and do few practice runs first as its easy to pull one of the wires short of the terminal when you crimp it, you can get a tester for about £35 but a bit of patience, a friend on one end and a multimeter on the other can do the same job.

I was on a team of 10 who wired and terminated the entire 'doughnut' in Cheltenham and I can recite the colour code system in my sleep... still have sore fingers now!
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Nothing to really add that hasn't already been said.

(You can now get this kind of stuff from your local DIY store - have seen it in B&Q - Screwfix also sell them).

These links might prove useful though:

http://tinyurl.com/2q7hzm

http://tinyurl.com/k53y9

http://tinyurl.com/36ykak

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule
                    Only if you have a slow-ass router or a kick-ass connection.

My (cable) connection is currently 8Mbps, my 802.11g router is capable of 54Mbps.

Why is the wireless router slowing the internet?

Admittedly it does slow computer to computer connections through the house, but I'm rarely bothered by that.
                    Wireless has, for want of a better word, lag. Plus, the 54mbps advertised is never anywhere near that. You'll be bloody lucky to get 20mbps out of it with the best 54mbps router going, the matching card that goes with it and a perfect room (no walls, radiators, reflections etc).

Comment

In cabled my flat recently, bought the ends and a crimper from maplins and followed the instructions on this page:

http://www.incentre.net/incentre/frame/ethernet.html

Dead easy
                      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                      X