• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

unilever

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffoon
    This sound like the old trick of asking for premium skills but offering a discount rate to demonstrate that there is a ‘skills shortage’ and they need to be able to import staff from overseas.

I am so glad I am out of the game .
    A lot of their development is being offshored already.

Comment

I was on the bench for a month and have just been offered a perl and C# contract for £300 per day near London, just when I was beginning to think perl was going the way of ancient Etruscan (which it may still be I guess). Spent the last week mugging up on C# and .NET and scraped through the interview questions. Apart from the rate, which isn't bad for perl, this should be a good chance to get into .NET or at least be in the running.

The guy asked quite an interesting "bonus" question about linked lists, which I'm ashamed to say I flunked. If traversing a single-threaded linked list, how can you detect any closed loop? Answer (or "an" answer): Traverse it with single hops and at the same time with double hops, and the two traverses meet eventually at the same element if and only if list enters a closed loop.

(Another method is to reverse every pointer as you go, i.e. from the next element back to the previous element, and in this case the list has a closed loop if and only if you end up back at the first element of the list. But I think the first method is better, as the list elements needn't be changed.)
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
        I was on the bench for a month and have just been offered a perl and C# contract for £300 per day near London, just when I was beginning to think perl was going the way of ancient Etruscan (which it may still be I guess). Spent the last week mugging up on C# and .NET and scraped through the interview questions. Apart from the rate, which isn't bad for perl, this should be a good chance to get into .NET or at least be in the running.

The guy asked quite an interesting "bonus" question about linked lists, which I'm ashamed to say I flunked. If traversing a single-threaded linked list, how can you detect any closed loop? Answer (or "an" answer): Traverse it with single hops and at the same time with double hops, and the two traverses meet eventually at the same element if and only if list enters a closed loop.

(Another method is to reverse every pointer as you go, i.e. from the next element back to the previous element, and in this case the list has a closed loop if and only if you end up back at the first element of the list. But I think the first method is better, as the list elements needn't be changed.)

God i hate those tossy questions, pulled directly from Microsoft and shows the interviewer has no knowledge to create his own questions.
        whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Originally posted by HankWangford
          God i hate those tossy questions, pulled directly from Microsoft and shows the interviewer has no knowledge to create his own questions.
          I quite liked that question.

Which probably proves your point!

Comment

Where are these Unilever jobs? are they at birdseye inh weybridge.

alright I know that I am touting for leads but I am an agent.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Probably port sunlight on the wirral
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent

Wirral way, mentioned in the original post.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent

speak to parity or spring in manc
                  whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Originally posted by HankWangford
                    speak to parity or spring in manc
                    He's already an agent, shouldn't prevent him ringing Parity or Spring though !

Dodgy - most of the Unilever work is now via Accenture. Not sure if its all pref supplier stuff.

Comment

It's a mixture of Accenture and IBM, mainly IBM I think. Accenture are doing the SAP implementation and application development across EU, the general stuff is IBM and is done out of Port Sunlight and other global locations

Comment

Working...
                      X