• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interest Rate Dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll
    15% was a reaction to propping up the £ and overspill from reigning in the excesses of Lawson’s give-away budgets it would have to be an exceptional set of circumstances to see that again.
    I think was only at 15% for a few hours on the day we were forced out of the ERM. It followed a spell of the country living beyond its means, a bit like the last few years come to think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall
      I think was only at 15% for a few hours on the day we were forced out of the ERM. It followed a spell of the country living beyond its means, a bit like the last few years come to think of it.
      If memory serves they never actually made it to 15%. The rate was increased from 10% to 12% with the announcement that a further 3% rise was to be made the following day. However by then we were out of the ERM so I don't think we ever actually got bases rates of 15%.

At the time I had a mortgage of 160k. Ouch.

Comment

Working...
      X