• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Relative perception of time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW
    All you peasants can either slow down or speed up time - but I can actually go back in time or fast forward it.

threaded.
    So you have sky+ as well then.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

A clue: when a series of events happen very close together in time, you are able to perceive that they were not co-incident, but unable to say which happened first or last, but can be sure of some in the middle.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

So what about if you travel away from earth at near light speed and come back again, apparently everyone you know will have aged or died in what seemed like an instant to you... now I find that difficult to comprehend.

It’s almost like a failsafe put in by god himself, if anyone achieves lightspeed they won’t be able to tell anyone else about it.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack
          Excellent - ordered it from amazon. Thanks EC
          Oh Good Lord! Someone acted on my advice and spent money on the basis of it.

I usually try to avoid that risk at work. Hope you enjoy it.
          God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Following on from a conversation I had the other day.
            perceive smaller increments of time than we do, and we see them as moving ....What are your thoughts on this? Read any good books on this topic?
            Folks like us in the West think of time as linear always in front, moving away from behind to forwards. If you talk to folks in the Far East they think of time vertically down to up. Just something I know…

Oh time does not really exist it’s a human perception…
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Time will say nothing but I told you so,
              Time only knows the price we have to pay;
              If I could tell you I would let you know.

If we should weep when clowns put on their show,
              If we should stumble when musicians play,
              Time will say nothing but I told you so.

There are no fortunes to be told, although,
              Because I love you more than I can say,

The winds must come from somewhere when they blow,
              There must be reasons why the leaves decay;
              Time will say nothing but I told you so.

Perhaps the roses really want to grow,
              The vision seriously intends to stay;

Suppose the lions all get up and go,
              And all the brooks and soldiers run away?
              Will time say nothing but I told you so?

-- W. H. Auden

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                So what about if you travel away from earth at near light speed and come back again, apparently everyone you know will have aged or died in what seemed like an instant to you... now I find that difficult to comprehend.

It’s almost like a failsafe put in by god himself, if anyone achieves light speed they won’t be able to tell anyone else about it.
                Well you could not move near this speed as your mass would become like SA and then you'd be doomed. Unless you could protect yourself from those effects...
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
                  Well you could not move near this speed as your mass would become like SA and then you'd be doomed. Unless you could protect yourself from those effects...
                  So the faster you go the more mass you have making it imposable to visit other planets, more proof of god's/nature's failsafe mechanism. Its almost as if we are never meant to find out the secrets of the universe.

Comment

Age is a major factor...

A year to a 1 year old is a lifetime...a year to a 61 year old is a blink of the eye...
                    Property advisor for the people

Comment

Excellent - ordered it from amazon. Thanks EC
                      Second hand?

Comment

Working...
                      X